The new 2017 SG Standard!

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Part of the problem I found with the aftermarket guards, was the holes wouldn't line up perfectly. It would dry for great, but holes were slightly off. Drove me nuts

Where did you buy them? I wouldn't trust random sellers on Ebay, they're often just generic "SG style" pickguards that would be lucky to fit any specific model. A legit pickguard maker like MojoAxe or PickguardHeaven will have already created a template from a real '61 Reissue pickguard, and Gibson does not allow enough variation in their pickguards that it would not fit another '61 RI.

View attachment 24271 Just gonna leave this here ;-)

And what a difference it makes! Those are the exact mods I would have done. Except maybe change the Kidney buttons to metal Keystones.

barnesto

Reaction score
Where did you buy them? I wouldn't trust random sellers on Ebay, they're often just generic "SG style" pickguards that would be lucky to fit any specific model. A legit pickguard maker like MojoAxe or PickguardHeaven will have already created a template from a real '61 Reissue pickguard, and Gibson does not allow enough variation in their pickguards that it would not fit another '61 RI.

And what a difference it makes! Those are the exact mods I would have done. Except maybe change the Kidney buttons to metal Keystones.

Thank you! The two other SGs I owned in the past had regular Klusons and those are cool but I'm digging the look of these Grovers (and LOVE the fast restringing time). I think Santa is gonna bring me a Vibramate and Bigsby B-5 ;-)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about this guitar are the Grovers, I prefer the classic look of Klusons plus I'm concerned about the extra weight and neck dive the Grovers could potentially cause. Do you think Gibson could make that change on an order without charging a premium?

barnesto

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about this guitar are the Grovers, I prefer the classic look of Klusons plus I'm concerned about the extra weight and neck dive the Grovers could potentially cause. Do you think Gibson could make that change on an order without charging a premium?
i like the LOOK of Klusons too. But once you restring in less than half the time with locking grovers you'll be hooked. They also look vintage and not out of place imho

Last edited:

barnesto

Reaction score
Those Kluson lockers do look great and I assume they work very well too. SOMEDAY when I get a '61 tribute those will be the tuner of choice for me just for the ease of restringing....

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
The new SGT are interesting looking guitars. Sort of a late 1980s vibe that seems to be in vogue again. Or, you could say they resemble a late 1960s wide-guard, heel-forward SG, but with the small pickguards in place. Always good to explore the hypothetical transitional model SG. A speculation as to what would've been made back then.

Biddlin

Reaction score
The 2017 Standard I played Saturday night was very well balanced. I would keep the Grovers and try lighter acrylic buttons, use the old ones for jewelry or fishing weights.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The 2017 Standard I played Saturday night was very well balanced. I would keep the Grovers and try lighter acrylic buttons, use the old ones for jewelry or fishing weights.
I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a 2017 yet, if I can buy one I'll most certainly leave the Grovers on for a try, maybe I'll even get used to them and keep them on, I'm just used to the look of the Klusons.

likea45

Reaction score
Enlight1.jpg I just ordered this 2017 Special. I was blown away by how cool this one looked in ebony. Haven't bought a "new" guitar in sometime and am looking forward to seeing what a new SG is like. It's a special edition in this finish apparently. I haven't seen it listed with the other finishes thus far.

TDA1966

Reaction score
^^^^^^Where did you get a Vintage Sunburst 2017 Standard T??? That thing is glorious!!! I'd rather have the Vintageburst than the Cherryburst because yours has the sunburst on the back and neck and the Cherryburst doesn't.

Last edited:

SGtopper

Reaction score
I didn't know it came in that color...
At least they put the sunburst on the back too...

Mjj4

Reaction score
^^^^^^Where did you get a Vintage Sunburst 2017 Standard T??? That thing is glorious!!! I'd rather have the Vintageburst than the Cherryburst because yours has the sunburst on the back and neck and the Cherryburst doesn't.

Thanks mate!

As ratsalad said it's an Amazon exclusive finish, not my favourite way of buying guitars without trying them first but I'm really pleased with it. It had to come from Germany, so I don't think they've produced many yet as I doubt they would have sold all the UK stock already.

I was put off by the dark back and neck on the Cherryburst too, the back of the vintage sunburst is beautful as the neck is darker at the pocket but lightens up on the neck itself. I'll take some better photos later on when I'm home from work.

Latest posts