Thinking about Fenders

Banderboy

Reaction score
That's cool. If your playing style doesn't include real-time dynamics you don't need a Strat's control layout.
Anybody ever use a whammy bar type lever with a volume control? You could just swing it out of the way when you didn't need it.

Banderboy

Reaction score
I've never heard of such a thing. Is it real, or are you speculating on the possibility?
Speculating, but it's (i think) theoretically possible. Kinda like a Virtual Jeff.

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
It absolutely is possible, though I am not aware of anyone actually doing it. You can also do the same thing with a volume pedal, so lot's of options.

I used Gibson guitars exclusively for the first 10 years I actually played electrics, and wanted nothing to do with Fender. I got my Strat because it was SUPER cheap and I was feeling saucy. I am glad I waited to get one, but I am also glad I finally got one. It is a totally different layout and opened up a new world of playing possibilities right when I was ready to embrace them.

Now, 20 years later I like and use different guitars depending on what I am doing. They all have their good points and drawbacks, although I no longer find most of the drawbacks to be "fatal flaws". They are just different combinations of features that can be very useful under the right circumstances.

If you think there is only one way to make a guitar, you are really missing out on something no matter what it is. For what it's worth, I have never gotten tangled up in the controls on my Strat. I have learned to love it for what it does well.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Swell pedals are great - Mark Knopfler is a master with one. But they do force you to one position on the stage. Admittedly an 8-foot square platform in the corner of a pub does cramp your movements a touch, but hey, it's nice to have options.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
A volume pedal adds a 250k pot to your signal chain. Might not notice clean.

Last edited:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Mark Knopfler's swells are indeed some of the finest examples of the technique I know of. They are a milestone I haven't been able to fully reach yet, but are the mark I aim for when I try to do sweet expressive swells. My best results have come from using a pedal, and when I want that result I am happy to anchor myself to a single stage location at least for the duration of the technique.

Last edited:

njpaulc

Reaction score
db07-jpg.309731

I was looking for that picture

pancake81

Reaction score
You've never thought about sticking a volume knob right next to your bridge pickup?

Personally I have not. TO be honest it is one of the reasons I don't have a Fender. For me, the placement of that volume knob interferes with my playing, picking/strumming style. My dang pinky always hits the thing. No doubt with some time and practice I could alter my style, but why when the SG feels so much better to me and the controls are in a place that are out of the way and mapped in my muscle memory

Latest posts