This might be the best Overdrive pedal I've come across...

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
I love overdrive pedals, especially Tube Screamer and Klon inspired pedals. I don't think I've bought one I haven't liked. Most however, are one trick ponies. As long as they do that trick well, I'm happy. What I don't like is the trend of "boutique" pedals starting around $200.
Anyhow, the local Sam Ash reopened today and for the first time in months, I went pedal shopping. I've heard great things about Earthquaker Devices pedals and noticed their TS808 based Plumes. What sold me on this in particular is the mode switch. You can switch between symmetrical, asymmetrical and no clipping. And all 3 options give you very different but equally awesome results. Mode 1 into a clean 5w amp gives you hot and crunchy overdrive. Into a dirty channel things get crazy. With this pedal the tone and gain knobs are very usable so there is a lot of in between. Mode 3 sounds like a Tube Screamer. Results were as expected through the same amp. What surprised me the most was mode 2. No clipping straight clean boost, which is how I usually run my regular Tube Screamer. Something is very different with this pedal when clean boosting. This thing had my 5w Blackstar howling. In a good way. Like I didn't recognize the sound coming out of it. In a good way. I'm going to try again tomorrow when no one is sleeping to make sure it wasn't some type of placebo effect, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't.
Long story short, great pedal. Might be the best overdrive I've come across. And the reason I mentioned the price of pedals at the beginning... It was hand built in Akron, OH and cost $99. I appreciate that....

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
It really is that good... Been using it all week. Every time I'm finding a new knob setting or guitar and amp combo that's giving me what I've been wanting to hear for a long time. Just killer clean boosted overdrive that makes my tubes sound like they're sizzling.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Just saw this post after my thread looking for OD recommendations. I think I’m down to this, the EHX crayon, and the EHX Russian Big Muff (which is different beast entirely, but I can’t decide if I want to try a fuzz for the first time).

After seeing your thoughts, I’m strongly leaning towards this...

TDA1966

Reaction score
These have my vote of recommendation. The MXR is more expensive... I got lucky and found it new open box for $65.00. The Crayon is pretty incredible and the tone controls really work well. The MXR is a beast.
IMG-20200425-192321543.jpg

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
Just saw this post after my thread looking for OD recommendations. I think I’m down to this, the EHX crayon, and the EHX Russian Big Muff (which is different beast entirely, but I can’t decide if I want to try a fuzz for the first time).

After seeing your thoughts, I’m strongly leaning towards this...
I'll be the first one to admit I have a bit of a problem with overdrive pedals. I tend to want to try them all and as a result have bought and sold many hoping to find one that's all around solid. To my ears the Plumes the best I've come across so far. I haven't bought another OD since I've had that and everytime I run it into a different amp I get a new appreciation for it. Also the way it stacks with other pedals makes it especially versatile.

Westernrider

Reaction score
Timmy.jpg

Here is another OD option similar to the Plume. There area plenty of videos of this thing in action. It pushes amps nicely and stacks nicely with other OD pedals.

I'm running it to push my Orange amp or using it to push my Dirty Little Secret OD pedal.

I've never used the original Timmy so I can't compare the two pedals.

Dangerhouse77

Reaction score
I have to admit I’m obsessed with Earthquaker Devices. The Plunes really is that good. I also have a Speaker Cranker and a Black Eye boost. Usually I run the Plunes with the switch to the left into the Black Eye. I also have a Talons on the way. I’m looking forward to that one since it has a presence knob and my Orange Rocker 15 Terror doesn’t

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I love overdrive pedals, especially Tube Screamer and Klon inspired pedals. I don't think I've bought one I haven't liked. Most however, are one trick ponies. As long as they do that trick well, I'm happy. What I don't like is the trend of "boutique" pedals starting around $200.
Anyhow, the local Sam Ash reopened today and for the first time in months, I went pedal shopping. I've heard great things about Earthquaker Devices pedals and noticed their TS808 based Plumes. What sold me on this in particular is the mode switch. You can switch between symmetrical, asymmetrical and no clipping. And all 3 options give you very different but equally awesome results. Mode 1 into a clean 5w amp gives you hot and crunchy overdrive. Into a dirty channel things get crazy. With this pedal the tone and gain knobs are very usable so there is a lot of in between. Mode 3 sounds like a Tube Screamer. Results were as expected through the same amp. What surprised me the most was mode 2. No clipping straight clean boost, which is how I usually run my regular Tube Screamer. Something is very different with this pedal when clean boosting. This thing had my 5w Blackstar howling. In a good way. Like I didn't recognize the sound coming out of it. In a good way. I'm going to try again tomorrow when no one is sleeping to make sure it wasn't some type of placebo effect, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't.
Long story short, great pedal. Might be the best overdrive I've come across. And the reason I mentioned the price of pedals at the beginning... It was hand built in Akron, OH and cost $99. I appreciate that....
Hows it compare to an OCD, looks to have the same features.

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
Hows it compare to an OCD, looks to have the same features.
I haven't tried the newer OCD V2 that's around currently but compared to the original, I'd take the Plumes. To me it's a little more versatile. Both are great pedals though.

No Talent

Reaction score
I just bought an EQD Plumes in black sparkle paint from Guitar Center. I had the MXR Il Diavolo and while I think it is an awesome pedal, I think the Plumes sounds better to my ear and with my gear.

I have had an OCD ver 1.4 and OCD Germanium pedals which are also good sounding pedals but too close to my actual Marshall amp in sound for me to keep around.

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
The Plumes seems to work well with just about any rig I've seen it used with. The bass player I jam with runs one into his setup and it's easily the best bass overdrive I've heard. Just a fantastic pedal.

Latest posts