Tuner Buttons Change to Hipshot D-04 Tulips in ‘Pearl’

madhermit

Reaction score
I have a 2018 SG Standard and I wasn’t digging the look of the metal buttons on the Grover locking tuners. I read in a thread here that the Hipshot buttons were a direct replacement. Found some here in Canada and put them on. Easy job.

These are Hipshot buttons type D-04 Tulips in the pearl finish.

They weigh a lot less. The metal buttons have some heft. The Hipshot replacements weigh next to nothing and I like the classic look.
Maybe it would help with neck dive? (I didn’t have this issue beforehand).
Even with the screws tight, they seem to turn more easily. Maybe just in my head. Maybe its to do with the weight.
Less weight on the headstock helps a guitar ring/sustain (according to Paul Reed Smith, I am bowing to his vast experience building guitars over my none.)

Cheap and easy update if you like the classic look.

Man, I love this guitar!

tmgJjKb.jpg

njpaulc

Reaction score
A really beautiful finish, I am usually an heritage Cherry only fan, but that SG look marvelous.

skelt101

Reaction score
Good to know! Did they crack when tightening, or at a later date?
To be fair, it was one button that cracked on me. I didn’t notice it right away, so it must have happened over a (short) period of time. It was probably a combination of the screw being torqued down and turning the button.

madhermit

Reaction score
A really beautiful finish, I am usually an heritage Cherry only fan, but that SG look marvelous.
Thanks. As far as I know, it was only available on the 2018 Standard. It’s called Autumn Shade.

papagayo

Reaction score
The KLUSON Revolution knobs will fit too... for the next time

SG Standard TBK 89.jpg

Carrion

Reaction score
I have a 2018 SG Standard and I wasn’t digging the look of the metal buttons on the Grover locking tuners. I read in a thread here that the Hipshot buttons were a direct replacement. Found some here in Canada and put them on. Easy job.

These are Hipshot buttons type D-04 Tulips in the pearl finish.

They weigh a lot less. The metal buttons have some heft. The Hipshot replacements weigh next to nothing and I like the classic look.
Maybe it would help with neck dive? (I didn’t have this issue beforehand).
Even with the screws tight, they seem to turn more easily. Maybe just in my head. Maybe its to do with the weight.
Less weight on the headstock helps a guitar ring/sustain (according to Paul Reed Smith, I am bowing to his vast experience building guitars over my none.)

Cheap and easy update if you like the classic look.

Man, I love this guitar!

tmgJjKb.jpg

i have to agree :) i wish my Ebony 2018 Standard 61 had the tuips haha but now, i can , and keep the factory tuners :)

madhermit

Reaction score
For those of you who like minutiae…

The metal kidney buttons and their screws (which are shorter) weigh 75g.
The plastic tulip buttons and their screws (which are longer) weigh 15g.

Weight savings of 60g.

I think in Imperial that is 2.1 ounces which is 1/8 lb.

My SG went from 6.6 to 6.5 lbs (3.01kg to 2.95kg).

Latest posts