Tuner question

living room rocker

Reaction score
I believe you veteran guitarists when you say tuning machines are rarely the culprit for tuning problems. Still, I've got mod fever and am gonna upgrade my Epi to higher quality Klusons. I don't have tuning issues but my D-string peg is a tad wobbly by comparison to the others. My guitar is fitted with press fit bushings but am inclined to go with hex head style threaded bushings. Do you think one style is better than the other? I realize it may require reaming to fit hex head bushings (will have local luthier install).

living room rocker

Reaction score
This is all about what you like the look of. No after-market tuner is going to hold tune any better than the original ones, but if there is a fault you should change them. The difference is cosmetic, apart from the gearing ratio, so the choice is all yours.

Thank you donepearce.

snatchss454

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think it would make any difference in stability if everything was functioning properly. I have had issues with Epiphones where the holes were not clean and it wasn't allowing the tuner to function smoothly. Maybe the tuner material(brass or aluminum) might effect tone or sustain which i assume is why PRS uses them. Also the ratios might be different to allow smoother operation or better fine tuning or something.

I change out my tuners simply because I hate the look of vintage deluxe style with skinny pegs and pearloid heads. I do like the keystone shape over the grover kidney though.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
My 2 cents, Tuner ratios and feel are real things to consider. They are also about as subjective as looks, so it still just comes down to what you like at the end of the day. There are no wrong answers here as long as you are happy with your choices. I would expect no real change in tone or sustain or anything else for that matter.

My first ever "guitar" was was a 3/4 size abortion that cost less than $50.00 new in 1980, and was overpriced at that. I learned how to play and how to make "any damn thing" playable from it however, so it wasn't a total loss. The tuners were about as flimsy as you will ever see, but once I learned how to properly wrap and lock the strings it would tune up and stay in tune just fine. I still used it on camping trips and the like for a while after getting my first real guitar the following year.

Latest posts