Two more homebrews taking shape

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
The first is going to be the wine red, bookmatched and double bound thinline.

It's getting SD Vintage Boradcaster pickups, a Mighty Mite neck (22 medium frets, rosewood on yellowed maple, TusqXL nut), Fender split shaft tuners. The pickguard has been put in place for the photo, but it won't get screw holes until after I've fitted and aligned the neck, and verified the scale length. The wiring is standard Tele but with a 4-way switch. 250K pots, 0.047 tone cap. Cloth covered wire throughout.

The second is going to be a P90 based thinline with SD P90s. Regular P90s, not hum canceling or hot. It is going to be stained and clear gloss polyurethane. A neck like the one above will be fitted. The control cavity, which is somewhat oversized, is big enough for two volumes and two tones. A Switchcraft 3-way toggle is going to go in theupper bout, Les Paul style. The switch plate will be just big enough to cover the cavity, leaving the maximum amount of wood exposed.

20220329_064046.jpg 20220329_064013.jpg

pancake81

Reaction score
Wow man, that’s fantastic. I have some descent woodworking skills, but nothing on a luthier level. Maybe when I am retired I can put some more time into it. Very impressive.

How do they feel, how do they sound?

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
The red one sounds great. Intonation is going to need a little nut work, but I'm waiting for everything to "bed in" before I get my files out.

The other one has been stained with black to pop the grain, then sanded back, then stained again with red mahogany, which, in hindsight, may have been too dark for this wood. If I did it again I'd probably use cherry or red chestnut, something a bit more orange-ey. Anyway, the polyurethane gloss clear is on now. I found using foam "brushes" with Minwax wipe-on poly to be a good way of getting very smooth, thick,, coats, quite quickly. The clear will be sanded back with 600 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 3000 grit before final polishing with car rubbing compound and Macguires (sp) car polish.

I'm going to do the edges in gloss black for a sort-of no burst burst effect.

The all rosewood neck should arrive today. That will be left raw unless or until I decide otherwise.

I bought a white pearloid no holes pickguard, which I'm going to cut back to expose the maximum amount of wood.

Controls for the dual SD Vintage P90s will be 2 volumes, 1 tone mounted in the puckguard and a Switchcraft mini toggle in the upper bout. All the pots will be 500k with a 0.047 uF tone cap.

Latest posts