Vibrola for Navigtor and Burny SG

Seamus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone experience with putting a vibrola on their SG? Are there any differences between the long and short arm versions/sideways in relation to performance and/or tone? Amd who makes the "best" aftermatket versions?

I have a white Burny SG custom and Navigator SG I'd like to add vibrolas too.

14990923_1822787854665490_8090257474412282597_o.jpg

1478390081845.jpg

1478390056277.jpg

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
Theres a few here that will chime in. I was also tempted. Even bought an import lyre version, but both SG's are too good stock for me to futz with.

mrk

Reaction score
Widely varying opinions out there on Maestro-style vibrolas. From my own experience, I love 'em. I rock hard on my SGs, so the gentle vibrato of a Bigsby is more suited to my big-body jazz box. With a little tinkering you can do some fairly gnarly dive-bombing ala Frank Marino with the Maestro. I have both long and short maestros and I've never noticed any difference in tone. Again, my SGs are primarily played with everything on 11. Not positive on this, but I think all of the aftermarket Maestros that you find on the web these days roll out of the same Asian factory. I personally do not have the tuning issues that some folks will report. I've never touched a sideways trem, so no opinion to offer on that. Although to me they seem awkward and over-engineered.

MRK

Paul G.

Reaction score
Do not install a sideways vibrola if you intend to actually use the thing, they are awful in every way possible.

Up and down maestros are fine. Long and short versions work exactly the same, so no difference except appearance.

You need to make sure you don't hang in the bridge, smoothing with emery and perhaps a drop of machine oil if necessary take care of that.

P.

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
Does anyone know the dimensions of the Lyre & Gibson/Epiphone artwork on the Vibrola?

There's an Epi with Maestro at a local thrift store. I could go take a gander at it & measure it. I'm afraid it might come home with me though.

bwotw

Reaction score
Allparts sells an aftermarket version, but it generaly gets terrible reviews. Crazyparts in Germany does a repro that's aparently very true to the originals, but it's big money. No experience with either, though (well, I got the Crazyparts bar handle, only ;) )

I love the stock long vibrola on my Greco SG. It stays in tune

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
Allparts sells an aftermarket version, but it generaly gets terrible reviews. Crazyparts in Germany does a repro that's aparently very true to the originals, but it's big money. No experience with either, though (well, I got the Crazyparts bar handle, only ;) )

I love the stock long vibrola on my Greco SG. It stays in tune

You should get a ton of hits on that vid. Nice job & thanks.

SG John

Reaction score
When I refinished my '80s Burny SG Standard, I tried putting the Allparts "Lyre" style tailpiece on it. Due to the very shallow neck angle, the bridge did not sit high enough for the strings to make contact after leaving the tailpiece. I ended up using a Bigsby B-5 because it was the only vibrato unit that would put some tension on the strings going over the bridge.

Latest posts