Was offered a trade

Astral Traveler

Reaction score
Hey!

I was offered a trade for my Pelham Blue 2019 SG Special. The trade would be for a 2018 SG Standard, plus $200 to the other guy, both guitars come with Gibson original hard cases. I love my SG but figured I need at least one guitar (must be an SG) with humbuckers, so I put it up for trade rather than sale.

This is what I'm offered:
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/SG-Standard-2018.aspx

What do you think? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

jonnyfez

Reaction score
I disagree - that doesn't seem like a good trade if you're having to cough up $200. Unless I misunderstood - seems like he should be paying you $200.

FYI: I have a 2018 Standard and a 2019 Pelham Blue SG Special. You can find a 2018 Standard used for about $850. You won't find a PB Special that cheap.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I disagree - that doesn't seem like a good trade if you're having to cough up $200.
You could be right, I haven't gone price comparing. I always horse trade so I haven't paid anything close to list in decades. here's how I look at it: I want guitar B and B's seller wants my guitar A plus $200. If I don't want to pay his price then B is lost to me and I may never have a chance to grab another exactly like it. I cannot think of a guitar (or car or motorcycle) that I have regretted buying nearly as much as some I did not.
On reflection I will add, I have traded away a couple that I ended up buyig back, so be sure you want to let the PB go.

jonnyfez

Reaction score
And since I have both guitars in question, I'm not sure I would trade the Special for a Standard. I like the feel of the slightly fuller neck on the Standard and the 61 pickups sound great. But the Special may be my best sounding guitar. Those P90s are my favorite.

fishlog

Reaction score
Yeah not a good trade... I have the same special, 2019 in faded pelham blue and I think I scored a good deal getting at like $1100. These things fetch top dollar. Standards are easily found for under $1000. they go for criminally low prices sometimes.

Just look on Reverb to gage pricing.

papagayo

Reaction score
Don' t trade the Ltd edition SG Special, this short run model is a good SG, warparound bridge, neck binding make it desirable.

Astral Traveler

Reaction score
You're right. Although I put it up for trade only I've been offered more money for it than what the SG standards go for.

Thanks!

Satellitedog

Reaction score
I tried that exact same model Standard, and your Special is 100% more cool. The '18 felt plasticy with that finish, the binding is blinding white on it and looks cheap and out of place with the guitar. Your Special has the nicer body carves, rare and super cool finish, and also will be worth a lot more a couple of years down the road, since it's already pretty rare. You'll be able to find humbucker equipped SGs anytime you want, hundreds of them. Not so with a '60s style Special. I'd hold on to it.

njpaulc

Reaction score
You want an SG with humbuckers, you have $200., find another $200 and buy a used faded special.

fishlog

Reaction score
Don' t trade the Ltd edition SG Special, this short run model is a good SG, warparound bridge, neck binding make it desirable.

These are limited editions? They seem to be everywhere right now but either way its a killer guitar and I'm really happy to own one.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Fishlog, your guitar is the Pelham Blue Special with P90's in your profile pic?
Your dilemma, as I see it is that you want a Humbucker SG after buying your P90 one, but don't want to add another guitar. Plus you've been presented a trade offer for your guitar.

As others have presented multiple scenarios, that leaves you simply with making the choice. Only you can decide what outcome you feel is a win win.

It appears both guitars have binding. The STD has fancier inlays and headstock, plus humbuckers and would COST you $200 on top of what you paid for your Special.

Let's say your special cost you $800-1000 new. If you add $200 to the cost of your Special, that would be $1000- $1200 for a Standard. Which is about the new price for one. Don't mind how my mind works. I often think in dollars first, what I get for those dollars next.
Now let's factor in depreciation on your Special. If I were presented with the chance to buy your Pelham Blue Special straight up, I would offer you no more than $600 with the case. So that brings us to the question of what I would buy a Standard for with a case. As others have said, a Pelham P90 guitar is not as prevalent as you thought. Also, you should be able to find a good Std for around $800-$900. So that would be what I shoot for. Also, STDS are READILY AVAILABLE everywhere. Then another scenario is also possible, I have 2 Humbucker Specials, one P90 special and 1 Humbucker Standard ( albeit a 1976 version with rectangular inlays)

Col Mustard has good advice regarding what ever guitar one is to purchase, play any prospective guitar in person. If it is well made and it speaks to you, acquire one. If it is blah or just ok, then pass. Is it what you are after sound and feel/fit wise? Let the result of the try out tell you if a guitar is a keeper or not.

As the others have said, in this $200 cash from you proposition, I would agree and pass on it. If you must move your guitar to buy or trade for another, make it for the same price.

Latest posts