What can I expect getting a standard in addition of my special?

Bbr6704

Reaction score
So, here's my current question : i have a 97 sg special (with humbuckers) i play and love a lot, but wouldn't be against getting a standard sg (if so, i'll try to get one from the 90's, the dark wine red /oxblood ones).

Beside the looks (i mean mainly neck binding and inlays), what would be different ?

Could the tone be different too?

And the weight is an important factor too. Mine is something like 7lbs if I'm correct (3,4/3,5kg for sure).

Could I expect to get a lighter one? (Something like 6lbs would be great, maybe a bit too light for a Sg? hard to find?)

Anyway, just tell me your thougts and more if you want! (And particulary on the standard of this era).

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Don’t expect anything and you won’t be disappointed. Seriously though, I got one from the 90’s about 20 yrs ago and it didn’t do much for me. It looked good but that was about it.
If you find a good one, you can expect not to sell it.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
If I'm correct the "Specials" come with wrap around stoptail bridges (1 unit). The "Standards" have separate tailpiece and bridges, so intonation might be better.

There are, however, so many different specs for "Spe ials" and "Standards" from year to year, it's hard to be precise.

Norton

Reaction score
inlays and a different pickguard?

I mean a special with humbuckers is pretty much a standard without the cosmetics. A standard to a jr or p90 special? that's a different story.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
If I'm correct the "Specials" come with wrap around stoptail bridges (1 unit). The "Standards" have separate tailpiece and bridges, so intonation might be better.

There are, however, so many different specs for "Spe ials" and "Standards" from year to year, it's hard to be precise.

1997 SG Special has a TOM bridge with stop bar tail piece just like an SG Standard.

Only difference between a 1997 Special and Standard is the Standard has a bound neck with trapezoids, headstock logo as inlay, crown inlay, 498T bridge pup instead of 490T. Pups are covered on the Standard.

Last edited:

rabbit

Reaction score
It's probably best that you try before you buy so's not to be disappointed... especially since you mentioned weight being a key factor.

For me, I love surprises and I enjoy all of them for their strengths and weaknesses. I love the look of the 'custom' but it doesn't have the same weight balance and fretboard feel as the 'classic', to which the classic doesn't have the tone of the 'special' which also has an almost too fat neck, yet the 'junior' has almost everything going for it except it lacks fancy binding + NIBs and the neck is a tad too long and makes me reach a bit. The standard is anything but, especially with P90s. Not to mention non of the bastards are polaris white.

I have a small collection and still find myself on the hunt every day for the one to rule them all, and I'm having fun.
Basically in my humble opinion it's about the journey not the destination.

Bbr6704

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

To be honest, I don't know yet if I'll get one, for sure I don't need it... and of course it would be after trying it!

But those oxblood / dark red (I think the color is wine red) standard look nice/appealing to me (Mike from the art of guitar has one lile that).

I guess they are from the 90's, many seem to be, even if I find the world was full of them some years ago, but they seem less common nowadays...

Anyway, my main concern is would only the cosmetics be different? (Even if I know 2 guitars from the same model can have different tone, and my own special is now far from stock!), or did they had some other big differences, I don't know, maybe in the woods, or neck profile, or...

Just for you to see, here's a pic from a same sg as mine : https://www.justguitars.com.au/vint...ls/gibson-sg-special-limited-edition-1997/396

But i only kept the wood (I bought the tone, the neck and the colour). It now has nickel hardware, custom alnico pickups, upgraded electronic, and a black pickguard... it was very good when I bought it, it's now a great guitar!

AxemanVR

Reaction score
`
My thoughts?

It first depends on which pickups each has.

I had a 2020 Gibson SG Standard with a set of 490 pickups (both bridge and neck). So if your Special came with those, as well as the TOM bridge/tailpiece (which some also came with) then chances are the two are going to be fairly similar.

SG Std.JPG

I actually got rid of my Standard because it sounded almost the same as my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates equipped 2020 Fender Duo Sonic HS, which I actually prefer better (believe it or not):

Duo.JPG

So I ended up trading the Standard in for a brand new 2022 Gibson SG Special earlier this year and have never looked back!

SG Scl Sm.JPG

The SG Special with P90s is a totally different animal altogether than the humbucker equipped Standard, and by that I mean totally awesome! So if you're looking for something “different” you may want to consider that.

Anyway, just some food for thought…

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Gibson made SG Std Vintage Cherry in 2011 and 2012, this finish is a nice dark cherry.

View attachment 48800
YEAH, that colour is KILLER...I got an SG in that colour: a 2019 SG 'Original' w/Chrome 'Maestro' (itssa Standard w/'57's) and also on a 2018 EXPLORER 'Elite'.......both are really bitchin guitars IIDSSM........ on both axes GIBSON USA calls the colour 'AGED CHERRY'......Who knew ?......U kno, IDRGAS WTF GIBSON USA wants to call it, yes? To me ? Its just really BAD-A$$ !!!....it sure is.....

AxemanVR

Reaction score
Beside the looks (i mean mainly neck binding and inlays), what would be different ?

Could the tone be different too?

Here’s another story that is definitely more relevant to your situation…

My other Gibson is a 1991 Les Paul Studio. The reason this is relevant is because these LPs were made almost exactly the same as their higher end models, except without the fancy binding and headstock inlays.

In fact my Studio has features from both the Standard and the Custom, namely; Ebony fretboard, 498T and 490R pickups and plastic from the Custom as well as trapezoid fretboard inlays from the Standard, not to mention the “high end” weight (around 10 lbs).

F4261A38-F0DA-4F3B-8904-64F0218689DA.jpeg

I thought I read that the bodies on the Studios were a bit thinner, but it sure feels like a full sized one after having it hanging off your shoulder for about 15 minutes. Otherwise it has a full thickness carved maple top and mahogany back and neck.

So, other than some non-tone-improving aesthetics, the early to (roughly) late 90s Studios had everything that the top of the line models had - before Gibson realized they were making them “too good” and started changing things that is.

The point is, your ‘97 SG Special sounds like it might be on par with the SG Standards from that era. If so, then you may very well be in possession of the “holy grail” already…

Last edited:

Bbr6704

Reaction score
Mine looks quitte the same!
Even if i don't have pictures on my phone : same color and hardware, kluson tuners, a Gibson p94 in neck position and a humbucker with a cover on in the bridge position (an alnico 4 made by a local builder).
When I'll get back home, I send some pics.

Westernrider

Reaction score
a. Beside the looks, what would be different ?
b. Could the tone be different too?
c. And the weight is an important factor too

The short answer is the simplest, you won't know until you pick the guitar up and play it.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
YEAH, that colour is KILLER...I got an SG in that colour: a 2019 SG 'Original' w/Chrome 'Maestro' (itssa Standard w/'57's) and also on a 2018 EXPLORER 'Elite'.......both are really bitchin guitars IIDSSM........ on both axes GIBSON USA calls the colour 'AGED CHERRY'......Who knew ?......U kno, IDRGAS WTF GIBSON USA wants to call it, yes? To me ? Its just really BAD-A$$ !!!....it sure is.....
Remember the late 90’s 67 reissue Flying V? Same color? 6E1B7718-D567-4ABE-969E-193A4229611E.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts