What is your favorite guitar ?

Maguchi

Reaction score
Aw, I'm going to join the heretics... View attachment 48466

Ain't nothin' wrong with a Firebird, @trypeus ! :dude:

FIREBIRDS ROCK BRO ! GIBSON USA's answer to the Telecaster ! I gotta Black one, and it frikkin RIPS ! MAYBE not as heavy sounding as other GIBSON's (Mini-Hummers) but the leads....ooh baby..... are Blistering !
Nice "Bird"! I don't care what the naysayers say. The Firebird is a comfortable, good sounding and easy playing guitar. Mine is lightweight, 7.02 lbs. and balances perfectly. The ergonomics are great on an FB. The body hangs a little to the right which puts the lower frets of the neck in the perfect position for the left hand. Your mileage will not vary.

GbsnFrbdOnStrap.jpg

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
I love the BBs. LPCs in general actually. But BBs have a special place in my heart.
Witch hats and Keystones make those IMHO. Speed knobs and Kidneys on an LP look terible IMO.
Prolly gonna get flak for this but I think Kidneys are the ugliest. Especially on LPs. Such a fine instrument.

Mine, previously posted. Had to return due to neck binding issues. It had the ugly Kidneys and out of charictor speed knobs. Was gonna swap those out first thing.
1661584968071.png

Last edited:

rabbit

Reaction score
I love the BBs. LPCs in general actually. But BBs have a special place in my heart.
Witch hats and Keystones make those IMHO. Speed knobs and Kidneys on an LP look terible IMO.
Prolly gonna get flak for this but I think Kidneys are the ugliest. Especially on LPs. Such a fine instrument.

Mine, previously posted. Had to return due to neck binding issues. It had the ugly Kidneys and out of charictor speed knobs. Was gonna swap those out first thing.
View attachment 49022
Witch hats and Keystones!

Out of all the guitars I’m fortunate to possess, this is the one on the stand by the bed and gets the most playtime.

9C01B792-B41C-4048-824B-560BB68D3D67.png

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 49022
Agree, I have a 2017 Lester Standard w/Grover kidney tuning machines and they just look like they do not belong on the guitar.....it doesn't have speed knobs (T G) and I am keeping it all 100% stock so the Keystones won't be going on it BUT DANG if my 2019 LES PAUL CUSTOM w/Grover Keystones doesn't look a damn sight better !
Posting pics w/my MAC just can't happen...too bad too ! 'REX' is a totally BAD-A$$ Lester CUSTOM.

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks,

The pickups are Gibson '68 Custom humbuckers and came with the guitar. Yeah the inlays are goldish. Not a Black Beauty expert or nothin' like that, but I seen gold-ish, off white and bright white headstock inlays on different Black Beauties. I guess the trim and inlays as well as pickups varies depending on year or what year a reissue is trying to emulate. I don't know cause like I say I'm not no expert.

Really? You don't play yours out? I do, depending on where I'm playing. All of my guitars get played out. But I'm very careful with it and watch it closely. When the sound and feel of a guitar inspires me on stage or at home I play better. The reason I play is for the thrill of a good sounding and feeling guitar, so I gotta play it out. I have a feeling the value appreciates at about the same rate as the guitar may depreciate from whatever wear and tear I may put on the guitar by playing it out.

Not sure what swirly designs you're referring to. It might be more and less light or sunlight coming through the window in some areas of the photo. The binding is from outer edge to inner edge a thick stripe and 3 much thinner stripes. The binding is kind of like a dark cream, gold or maybe a mustard color not unlike the TV yellow on an LP Junior or Special. The headstock inlay is more gold than the binding. Don't know how they did that, maybe a tint in the clearcoat covering the headstock.

Rock on! A Black Beauty, or any guitar is at its best when it's played loud, proud and often. It ain't no "redheaded stepchild" that you hide in the attic.

P.S. I checked the pic on my previous post and see the swirly stuff by the cutaway and bass side of the upper bout that you're talking about. It only looks like that on the pic I sent from the phone to a laptop. For me this site only lets me post photos from my laptop and the site tells me the file is too large to attach when I try to post photos from my phone. And when this pic is sent from phone to laptop as an email attachment, it comes out as that swirly stuff in the binding. That same pic on my phone doesn't have that swirly jive. Cyber gremlins, weird, wild wacky stuff!

View attachment 49017
I kno what u mean about 'File is too large' OMG !

OH WOW, whatta SCORE ! That is the 2018 '68 LES PAUL CUSTOM 50th Anniversary Re-Issue is it ? OH $#!T !!! That is the one I had originally wanted: thee 1968 LES PAUL CUSTOM Re-issue, OMG ! and it was because of those BAD-A$$ Pickup's...... but @ North of $6 Grand, it just had me stalling....and the other Lester Black Beauty CUSTOMs all had the 490's in them.....so I just waited....and waited...and Holy $#!T waited till Zzzounds dot com came out with an 'Exclusive' Les Paul CUSTOM VOS w/Ebony Fret-Board and Custom-Buckers at just south of $4 Grand ($3850 ALL-IN)...it is as close to the '68 Re-Issue as I could get.......it came without Pickup covers too ! and ,of course, my MACBOOK just can't get a pic uploaded...too bad......'REX' is such a BAD--A$$...it is the only guitar I ever had/played that I have to adjust the way I play it.......because it hurts my left hand and fingers. The Chunky 'C' Neck Profile and Ebony Fret-Board...WOW...its like a Club ! Compared to an SG w/Slim-Taper Neck ?

THANKS for the close-up shot of the Body binding, that's more like it, yes? However you took the 1st picture made it appear as if GIBSON had done something weird to the binding....it looked pretty cool like that BUT I just don't think GIBSON would actually deviate or even do something like that to such an iconic Guitar...it would be like a tasteless joke at a Wedding ! Just completely un-called for and vulgar.
TNX AGAIN BRO, KEEP ROCKIN !!!

Last edited:

Igonuts

Reaction score
Gonna pull back on some of what I said.
Solid bodies; IMHO,
Kidneys work on a V. Carries the round head stock theme. Keystones wouldnt be right.
Speed knobs do work on flat top LPs. Example, studios wear them nicely.

Igonuts

Reaction score
Witch hats and Keystones!

Out of all the guitars I’m fortunate to possess, this is the one on the stand by the bed and gets the most playtime.

View attachment 49024

OK. Umm. Ahh. That has an altitude issue. Way beyond simple personality/charictor. That looks like a girl that just left a biker bar already making plans to go back. I reffered to my SG as a slut, but that is orgy material. OMGawd. Tattered nylons and short skirt.

Maguchi

Reaction score
I kno what u mean about 'File is too large' OMG !

OH WOW, whatta SCORE ! That is the 2018 '68 LES PAUL CUSTOM 50th Anniversary Re-Issue is it ? OH $#!T !!! That is the one I had originally wanted: thee 1968 LES PAUL CUSTOM Re-issue, OMG ! and it was because of those BAD-A$$ Pickup's...... but @ North of $6 Grand, it just had me stalling....and the other Lester Black Beauty CUSTOMs all had the 490's in them.....so I just waited....and waited...and Holy $#!T waited till Zzzounds dot com came out with an 'Exclusive' Les Paul CUSTOM VOS w/Ebony Fret-Board and Custom-Buckers at just south of $4 Grand ($3850 ALL-IN)...it is as close to the '68 Re-Issue as I could get.......it came without Pickup covers too ! and ,of course, my MACBOOK just can't get a pic uploaded...too bad......'REX' is such a BAD--A$$...it is the only guitar I ever had/played that I have to adjust the way I play it.......because it hurts my left hand and fingers. The Chunky 'C' Neck Profile and Ebony Fret-Board...WOW...its like a Club ! Compared to an SG w/Slim-Taper Neck ?

THANKS for the close-up shot of the Body binding, that's more like it, yes? However you took the 1st picture made it appear as if GIBSON had done something weird to the binding....it looked pretty cool like that BUT I just don't think GIBSON would actually deviate or even do something like that to such an iconic Guitar...it would be like a tasteless joke at a Wedding ! Just completely un-called for and vulgar.
TNX AGAIN BRO, KEEP ROCKIN !!!
It's actually a 2015 '68 Custom reissue instead of a 2018. These came out in 2015 and I snagged one because in those years the regular cheaper LP Customs had "richlite" fretboards instead of ebony. And in those years only the '57 3 pickup Custom reissue and '68 Custom reissue had the ebony fretboards. I tried the '57 3 pickup Custom and didn't like the way the switching selector and volume knobs worked to get the different positions and sounds. Not convenient for switching quickly during live playing. So I got the '68. I din't pay no $6k for it though. They were quite a bit cheaper back in 2015.

Both the '57 and '68 do have a bit of a chunky neck, but I don't mind it at all. After a few minutes I don't even notice the thickness of it and it's plenty fast enough and slinky feeling. Think it's about the same shape and thickness as a '58 neck on an early 2000s R8 I had at the time I bought the '68. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that if you have left hand issues like soreness or arthritis, a chunky neck is better to be able to play for long periods without discomfort. Anyways, I got no issues with chunky necks as long as they're not super chunky. Anything even slightly less chunky than the current National Resonator T-14 Tricone is fine by me.

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
Right now I play a lot my '15 SG, the asymetric slim taper neck is very comfortable, a great SG. The GraphTech TUSQXL adjustable nut is perfect for a low action setup.

SG Standard TBK 225.jpg

Maguchi

Reaction score
n LPC not weighing in at least 10 Lbs. is a no go for me).....
Really? There were some lighter non-weight relieved LP Customs but you had to look pretty hard to find 'em. But that was 2015 and right now there is a supply shortage so good guitars are scarcer, and harder to find lighter ones now. Mine is 8.82 lbs.with no weight relief and plsys and sounds like a dream. When I was looking for a Black Beauty in 2015, I found one even slightly lighter, I think it was 8.6 lbs, but it had a bowed neck. Usually some of the premium retailers like Widlwood and Chicago Music Exchange have deals with Gibson, Fender and other guitar companies to get "select" premium guitars of production models. Not that this one is a production model. It was a Gibson True Historic Les Paul Custom reissue.
Its sad that since the XXXX-Pan-demic hit, in early 2020, I haven't played a single note in front of an audience......
Yeah it was impossible to find a live gig for well over a year between March 2020 until June 2021. But then in July 2021 gigs started to trickle back in for July 4th and other summer festivals. Pretty much things are back to normal now for gigging here in SoCal.

GbsnLPCstmWgt.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score

Dead right on the witch hats. Speed knobs are too modern for guitar designs that date back to the late 50's and early 60's like the LP, SG, etc. Perhaps if you have a modern interpretation like a tuxedo Flying V, otherwise, no.

I'm torn on the Kidneys. I prefer keystones. But the early Gibson / Kluson tuners were nothing to brag about. Back in the day, they were often replaced with Schaller's or Grovers. Kidney or similar shapes were not uncommon. So it triggers a bit of nostalgia for those early players that were seriously worn and churning out real rock.

Steve D

Reaction score
Right now the guitar I am playing 90% of the time is this. 1990, all original in tortoiseshell finish with brazilian rosewood board. A lot hotter than my SGs and strats. Honestly I was kinda shocked I fell so in love with it, it's not my usual thing but it was being sold locally at crazy price so I figured I'd give it a look and sell it off it it didn't work for me and not lose a dime. Instead, I can't put it down.

Tortoiseshell.jpg

Igonuts

Reaction score
Dead right on the witch hats. Speed knobs are too modern for guitar designs that date back to the late 50's and early 60's like the LP, SG, etc. Perhaps if you have a modern interpretation like a tuxedo Flying V, otherwise, no.

I'm torn on the Kidneys. I prefer keystones. But the early Gibson / Kluson tuners were nothing to brag about. Back in the day, they were often replaced with Schaller's or Grovers. Kidney or similar shapes were not uncommon. So it triggers a bit of nostalgia for those early players that were seriously worn and churning out real rock.

Yea, yea, yea. With ya on that.
Back in 75 I bought a 20th anniv LPC BB. The first thing the store wanted to push on me was grovers and a DM SD PUP for the bridge. Passed on the grovers due to head stock mods, drilling/boring and such. Fell for the DM tho.
Klusons started to rattle w/in months of purchase. But I didnt want to mod the guit in a way that wasnt reversable. Maybe they have "direct fit" out now. But not in 74/75.

flatrockmobile

Reaction score
These two

elPCpag.jpeg
Did you add the neck PUs in these beauties?
I have the SG-1 All American in my avatar with the original 500T. It is absolutely my favorite of the guitars I own. The one I'll never part with.
The bridge PU (only one in mine of course) sits about 1/2 inch further from the bridge than other SGs which is perfect for a single pickup guitar, giving it a much wider range of available tones.
I've seen others that have been modified such as Charlie Starr's one with a single P90. 1662907846997.png
One thing I really enjoy is the placement of the volume and tone knobs

franssuing91

Reaction score
As far as I saw, no one has mentioned the Fender American Professional II Stratocaster model - Dark Night with Rosewood Fingerboard. Guys, just look at this model; I have attached below a photo of how it looks. I have never seen a more stylish and unusual guitar neck. I haven't bought it for myself yet, but I plan to fix it within two months. I fell in love with this guitar and have already ordered many shop guitar accessories. I think tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I will go to the music store to check how it plays. Still, I am already sure that I will like everything and be the happiest person when I take this baby home.

1663698010494.png

Latest posts