Where Is Mick Taylor's SG?

youdevil

Reaction score
I've never been very interested in acquiring celebrity guitars, but Mick Taylor's SG -- the one used on the 1969 Stones tour -- would be an exception!

Whatever became of it, and where is it now?

rotorhead

Reaction score
It was stolen in the early 70s (71?) with a bunch of other guitars and stuff and never recovered as far as I know.

Les’s Nemisis

Reaction score
It was stolen in the early 70s (71?) with a bunch of other guitars and stuff and never recovered as far as I know.

Necro-bump, but I ran across this and thought I'd add some tidbits.

If you're referring to the bugulary at Nellcote, a number of guitars were "stolen" from Villa Nellcote. I hadn't heard of Taylor's SG being included but it's plausible. The last footage / photos I could ever find of Mick with the SG are early 1971. The burgularly was in Sept '71.

For those not in the loop, Nellcote was Keef's rental in France when they were all tax exiles from Britan. Nellcote was a combination studio, elegant house, and den of debauchery.

Keef was buying their drugs from people in the Corsican Mafia. Some of them hung out there on a regular basis. The estate was very open and free form. Rumor is that Keef owed the Corsicans a lot of money for drugs... so one day they came by and walked out in broad daylight with a bunch of Keef's guitars and Bill Wyman's bass as payment.

I've never heard of the SG being included but it would make sense that it was there becuase Taylor played it in preference to his LP. It's not like the guitars were labeled with names - or if the Corsicans would care. The SG wasn't seen after that AFAIK.

MR D

Reaction score
Necro-bump, but I ran across this and thought I'd add some tidbits.

If you're referring to the bugulary at Nellcote, a number of guitars were "stolen" from Villa Nellcote. I hadn't heard of Taylor's SG being included but it's plausible. The last footage / photos I could ever find of Mick with the SG are early 1971. The burgularly was in Sept '71.

For those not in the loop, Nellcote was Keef's rental in France when they were all tax exiles from Britan. Nellcote was a combination studio, elegant house, and den of debauchery.

Keef was buying their drugs from people in the Corsican Mafia. Some of them hung out there on a regular basis. The estate was very open and free form. Rumor is that Keef owed the Corsicans a lot of money for drugs... so one day they came by and walked out in broad daylight with a bunch of Keef's guitars and Bill Wyman's bass as payment.

I've never heard of the SG being included but it would make sense that it was there becuase Taylor played it in preference to his LP. It's not like the guitars were labeled with names - or if the Corsicans would care. The SG wasn't seen after that AFAIK.
WOW, never heard that one,........Keef was hurtin for CA$H back then ? If it were anyone besides Keef, they would have drowned whoever it was in the swimming pool, or a puddle of urine.

MR D

Reaction score
WOW, those guitars in the background...geez zeus ! Back then they were just GREAT Guitars...but now? IF ANY SURVIVED....WOWO, They'd be worth a frikkin fortune ! I can see why the 'MOB' wanted them, if they even knew what they were getting ! Probably went straight to a pawn shop and came back for the rest of the CA$H Keef owed them ! Keef must have paid up as he still has all of his fingers !

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
IMG_0902.jpeg
If you guys are interested on a deep dive into the "Exile" sessions, this is a fun book.

MR D

Reaction score
View attachment 48349
If you guys are interested on a deep dive into the "Exile" sessions, this is a fun book.
YO DUDE, its funny you mention those sessions.....I had a conversation with one of the piano players on that record in Los Angeles, 1996 or 1997 (he is dead now, but was credited as 'Mac' Rabenack on 'Let it loose', IIRC...known by stage name of 'Dr. John' and I was fairly well aquainted with the Guy for quite awhile)....I actually asked him about recording that record......and.....What he said to me EXACTLY......was that he was "all over that record, and they didn't give me credit for **** !'. and those were his exact words !! IDK, I surely wasn't there......BUT Ole Mac was none too pleased about it....in fact, he seemed downright upset about it when he said it.....at the time I had a 1st printing of that recording and I even had the idiotic postcards that were part of the original pressings' packaging....Later on, on the night I asked him, I went home and I looked at the album sleeves and he was, indeed, only credited for one piano part on the entire recording.....
I maybe should have private messeged this, but it just doesnt work on this effin site...or I just dont know how to do it........what does the book say about good ole Mac's contributions ? Is he even mentioned? I know for a fact he was on it.....

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
YO DUDE, its funny you mention those sessions.....I had a conversation with one of the piano players on that record in Los Angeles, 1996 or 1997 (he is dead now, but was credited as 'Mac' Rabenack on 'Let it loose', IIRC...known by stage name of 'Dr. John' and I was fairly well aquainted with the Guy for quite awhile)....I actually asked him about recording that record......and.....What he said to me EXACTLY......was that he was "all over that record, and they didn't give me credit for **** !'. and those were his exact words !! IDK, I surely wasn't there......BUT Ole Mac was none too pleased about it....in fact, he seemed downright upset about it when he said it.....at the time I had a 1st printing of that recording and I even had the idiotic postcards that were part of the original pressings' packaging....Later on, on the night I asked him, I went home and I looked at the album sleeves and he was, indeed, only credited for one piano part on the entire recording.....
I maybe should have private messeged this, but it just doesnt work on this effin site...or I just dont know how to do it........what does the book say about good ole Mac's contributions ? Is he even mentioned? I know for a fact he was on it.....
Hey D.,

I read this a while ago and unfortunately the book doesn't have an index. It's kind of more of an extended critical essay on the making/impact/meaning of "Exile." I don't recall it mentioning Dr. John in any way that implied that he was a significant presence at the sessions. A lot of mentioning Nicky Hopkins though. But the sessions were pretty chaotic, Dr. John might've jammed with them and then they didn't use his material. Or maybe it got mixed up and no one was sure who played on what and they just made an educated guess when crediting the album?

MR D

Reaction score
Hey D.,

I read this a while ago and unfortunately the book doesn't have an index. It's kind of more of an extended critical essay on the making/impact/meaning of "Exile." I don't recall it mentioning Dr. John in any way that implied that he was a significant presence at the sessions. A lot of mentioning Nicky Hopkins though. But the sessions were pretty chaotic, Dr. John might've jammed with them and then they didn't use his material. Or maybe it got mixed up and no one was sure who played on what and they just made an educated guess when crediting the album?
Hey Dude, Your guess is as good as mine...and the good Doctor is dead, so he ain't talking about it any longer, eh? I did ask him though...and immediately, he got bordering on dead on IRATE...remember it like it was yesterday...he is credited and IIRC its on 'Let it Loose'...Mac Rabenack...a real New Orleans looney tune if there ever was one...I was pretty good friends with the Guy when I lived in Los Angeles.Mac thought my '68 Pontiac was BAD-A$$, he was right....he owned a Tattoo Parlor in Venice Beach...I was gonna get some work done there, but never got around to it.... I remember hearing he died just a few years ago, 2019? Mac had an assistant named Walter that was from the same neighborhood I grew up in, we knew some of the same people...I remember that was pretty trippy back then, being 1000's of miles away....and 25 years later.......both great Guys...RIP.

Do, or can you, remember when 'EXILE...' was released ? I remember a lot of people thought it sucked, only years later did it get the moniker of 'BEST' STONES album....I always thought it ROCKED from day one !

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Hey Dude, Your guess is as good as mine...and the good Doctor is dead, so he ain't talking about it any longer, eh? I did ask him though...and immediately, he got bordering on dead on IRATE...remember it like it was yesterday...he is credited and IIRC its on 'Let it Loose'...Mac Rabenack...a real New Orleans looney tune if there ever was one...I was pretty good friends with the Guy when I lived in Los Angeles.Mac thought my '68 Pontiac was BAD-A$$, he was right....he owned a Tattoo Parlor in Venice Beach...I was gonna get some work done there, but never got around to it.... I remember hearing he died just a few years ago, 2019? Mac had an assistant named Walter that was from the same neighborhood I grew up in, we knew some of the same people...I remember that was pretty trippy back then, being 1000's of miles away....and 25 years later.......both great Guys...RIP.

Do, or can you, remember when 'EXILE...' was released ? I remember a lot of people thought it sucked, only years later did it get the moniker of 'BEST' STONES album....I always thought it ROCKED from day one !
It was 1972...I was five, so it definitely was not on my radar at the time. If it was, I'd've been the hippest five year-old on the planet!