Who is Your Favorite…

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Samantha Fish among modern players, along with Derek Trucks.

But of course, being a teen in the sixties gave me total appreciation for the SG,
because if a guy wanted a new Gibson guitar in the sixties
there was only the SG... Les Pauls had been discontinued in 1961
due to lack of interest. ES series guitars were for my parent's music...
cool but not cool enough.

In the sixties when I was growing up, US bands played Fender instruments mostly,
along with odd other brands like Gretsch and
Rickenbacker, Mosrite and Vox... or else they played SGs.
Les Paul himself was uncool, and the guitars with his name were
sold in pawn shops. Get in yer time machine and go buy one of those...

Local pros also played SGs. I got my first look at one when I was at a party
that had a band, and the lead guitarist played an SG. It was
the coolest guitar I'd ever seen. I still feel that way.

The Doors, Big Brother & tho Holding Co.... Frank Zappa and the Mothers
of Invention, George Harrison, they all played SGs to great effect.
And then EC, when he got tired of having his Les Pauls stolen...
he played an SG with Cream, also to great effect. Pete Townsend
broke quite a few SGs, which tormented my soul to witness.
I hated seeing that... I wanted one of those so bad...
I still hate seeing that. What a bullish*t thing to do.

"I never had any trouble breaking SGs...
They were like, made of balsa wood..." --Pete Townsend

In the '70s I got into Blue Oyster Cult and then got distracted by
having a career as a singer-songwriter. I never listened to much
punk or metal, and ignored the disco trend and the urban cowboy
trend. I ignored all the big-hair bands of the '70s and '80s and thought of
KISS as circus clowns. I never liked clowns... *shrugs

But when I finally decided to buy myself a new electric guitar,
I chose the SG. Good choice, as ever.
Luna 2022 rear@100.jpeg

DanB

Reaction score
Lot of my favorites already mentioned here:
Krieger
Dharma
Angus
Iommi
Jerry
Zappa
Buxton
etc.

One of absolute favorites and not mentioned enough is John Cipollina of QSM, incredible player.

Thanks for mentioning John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, a great underrated player for an underrated band which should have gotten alot more critical and commercial acclaim than they did.

DanB

Reaction score

DanB

Reaction score
I think honorable mention should go to the iconic pioneer guitarist Les Paul and his wife Mary Ford as amongst the earliest SG players. The SG was in fact designed by Gibson to become the new Les Paul model to replace the older Les Paul model. I understand Les Paul the guitarist reportedly did not like the design so the new guitar became the SG but apparently he and his wife played SGs at some point:
1651100437567.png

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, a great underrated player for an underrated band which should have gotten alot more critical and commercial acclaim than they did.
Absolutely, Gary Duncan was also a great player (RIP both of them). Anyone who loves SG’s is missing out if they haven’t listened to some QMS/Cipollina.

DanB

Reaction score
Absolutely, Gary Duncan was also a great player (RIP both of them). Anyone who loves SG’s is missing out if they haven’t listened to some QMS/Cipollina.
I have their greatest hits on cassette tape. they don't get enough mention when the whole San Francisco Sound gets discussed in rock history books.

Demon Dave

Reaction score

But of course, being a teen in the sixties gave me total appreciation for the SG,

In the sixties when I was growing up, US bands played Fender instruments mostly,

I chose the SG. Good choice, as ever

I chose the SG. Good choice, as ever.
View attachment 47961
I have news, KISS are not clowns

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I have their greatest hits on cassette tape. they don't get enough mention when the whole San Francisco Sound gets discussed in rock history books.
Agree. Same could be said for Moby Grape, another outstanding SF band. Luckily I have a subscription to Apple Music and there’s loads of QMS on there.

DanB

Reaction score
Agree. Same could be said for Moby Grape, another outstanding SF band. Luckily I have a subscription to Apple Music and there’s loads of QMS on there.
you must be a clairvoyant, I was going to mention Moby Grape in my thread but somehow forgot. I actually have a copy of their great first album Moby Grape, which I discovered in a used record store here in Metro Detroit in about 1978-79, when I was in high school. (The album was actually still "New" in that it was still in its wrapper and had not been played). I have since purchased a greatest hits compilation CD. They were a great band that suffered from serious mismanagement and the fact that one of their members, Skip Spence, literally went crazy. I have never heard any of their songs on the radio whereas at least one or two Quicksilver songs, Fresh Air and What You Going to Do About Me used to get some airtime on our album oriented stations here in Detroit.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Well, I do try not to have any favorites....no favorite musician, no favorite song, no favorite guitar...etc.

But, one guitarist whose work I find very appealing, and who has also used an SG (though he is known more for Strats), is Eric Johnson.

Dangerhouse77

Reaction score
So many punk bands used SGs . But here’s one of my favorites Dix Denny of the Weirdos

Last edited:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
you must be a clairvoyant, I was going to mention Moby Grape in my thread but somehow forgot. I actually have a copy of their great first album Moby Grape, which I discovered in a used record store here in Metro Detroit in about 1978-79, when I was in high school. (The album was actually still "New" in that it was still in its wrapper and had not been played). I have since purchased a greatest hits compilation CD. They were a great band that suffered from serious mismanagement and the fact that one of their members, Skip Spence, literally went crazy. I have never heard any of their songs on the radio whereas at least one or two Quicksilver songs, Fresh Air and What You Going to Do About Me used to get some airtime on our album oriented stations here in Detroit.
That first Grape album is one of the greatest albums and debuts in rock history, such a shame about the mismanagement and how Columbia released five singles on the same day and completely confused DJ’s and the public. Incidentally, my father was an exec at Columbia at the time. Just one bad mishap after another for MG. Skip’s demise lives in infamy, but what a talent he was. Loved his only solo record, Oar. And Bob Mosely had one of the best voices in rock ’n roll, but mental illness got the best of him also. Very tragic history, but I still love just about everything they ever did, even with the rotating lineups. There may not have ever been a band with the equal talents like they had, they all sung and wrote songs. Fate just wasn’t on their side unfortunately. Very true though, you never hear any Grape songs on the radio whereas with QMS you do hear them every now and then. Also incidentally, I was born in Troy MI., but moved away when I was very young. Always loved this one, Bob and Skip belting it out in a call and response fashion…so much palpable energy. Eric Clapton’s on record saying that Jerry Miller is his favorite guitarist, heady words from him.

DanB

Reaction score
That first Grape album is one of the greatest albums and debuts in rock history, such a shame about the mismanagement and how Columbia released five singles on the same day and completely confused DJ’s and the public. Incidentally, my father was an exec at Columbia at the time. Just one bad mishap after another for MG. Skip’s demise lives in infamy, but what a talent he was. Loved his only solo record, Oar. And Bob Mosely had one of the best voices in rock ’n roll, but mental illness got the best of him also. Very tragic history, but I still love just about everything they ever did, even with the rotating lineups. There may not have ever been a band with the equal talents like they had, they all sung and wrote songs. Fate just wasn’t on their side unfortunately. Very true though, you never hear any Grape songs on the radio whereas with QMS you do hear them every now and then. Also incidentally, I was born in Troy MI., but moved away when I was very young. Always loved this one, Bob and Skip belting it out in a call and response fashion…so much palpable energy. Eric Clapton’s on record saying that Jerry Miller is his favorite guitarist, heady words from him.

Wow you definitely know your Moby Grape history. And interesting you were born in Troy, Michigan. Its much bigger and built up then when you were born here. I actually went to high school in the next town over, Birmingham, so I had a lot of connections to the Troy area.

Latest posts