Why do some players hate Gibson so much?

sirpluckalot

Reaction score
Not rubbish at all. He makes good points, and his final comment about Epiphone is spot on. My 339 is a work of pure art. I have several Gibsons and they come nowhere close in quality.
Keep an Asian guitar and yes many are very well made for a long time and many times you'll see issues with fret sprout. I had a Fender classic vibe tele that was my #1 but after seven years the frets started lifting up from the board and I was heart broken. Repair cost wasn't justified so I had to let it go. Never had that with a mia or mim Fender or Gibson.

NMA

Reaction score
Two points:

1. I was not a Gibson fan. Hate is the wrong word. I just didn't like their thicker tone as compared to my Fenders and Rickenbackers and Gretsches. And...

2. The Gibson Les Paul and SG were also viewed by me as dinosaur guitars. The newer young bands seemed to be playing Fenders,, and Rics, and Gretsches; while the dinosaur bands - Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Boston, Journey, Blue Oyster Cult...- were doing the Gibson Les Paul/SG thing. Gibson was the guitar for the dinosaurs in the music biz.

But I did like New Model Army and The Doors and The Sex Pistols. Those three bands relied heavily on Gibson guitars. So I gave in and bought me a Gibson. And the guitar is absolutely wonderful. A work of art. A fantastic musical instrument.

Here's what I saw in the Sweetwater Gallery one day:

3-angle-l.jpg

And three days later she was sitting on my couch:

IMG-0731fix.jpg

laza616

Reaction score
A secret PR video for sure. A guy has 5 Fenders on the wall behind him and has the exact same two issues all of sudden on both Gibson guitars. Two different models. And not only one issue but two simultaneous issues on each gibson guitars. One player

I would say that its because he played it abusively and mistreated the guitars terribly or its staged and he intentionally caused these flaws to influence people not to get Gibson
How can you get the nut issue, movement in the nut and a piece of a finish is off, this is nonsense. Strings are pulling the nut into the neck and the neck is softer than nut, yet he has not a bowed neck (if the string pressure was huge) but he has nut issue... I am not buying this
Normally i would say that he dropped the guitar and it fell down on the string side and banged with the nut on the floor as it fell. Thats how he did it on both guitars, thats why he has same damage

I guess when i let my Gibson SG fall down forward on the floor i will get the same damage.

Of course you wont get any finish crack on the neck joint on fender as its bolt on guitar.

DanB

Reaction score
Two points:

1. I was not a Gibson fan. Hate is the wrong word. I just didn't like their thicker tone as compared to my Fenders and Rickenbackers and Gretsches. And...

2. The Gibson Les Paul and SG were also viewed by me as dinosaur guitars. The newer young bands seemed to be playing Fenders,, and Rics, and Gretsches; while the dinosaur bands - Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Boston, Journey, Blue Oyster Cult...- were doing the Gibson Les Paul/SG thing. Gibson was the guitar for the dinosaurs in the music biz.

But I did like New Model Army and The Doors and The Sex Pistols. Those three bands relied heavily on Gibson guitars. So I gave in and bought me a Gibson. And the guitar is absolutely wonderful. A work of art. A fantastic musical instrument.

3-angle-l.jpg

IMG-0731fix.jpg
Beautiful guitar! I've been playing the same SG for 43 years. (See below)They are great instruments, its no secret as to why they are Gibson's best selling guitars.

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_205021_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190502_205021_hdr.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190502_204915_hdr (1).jpg
    IMG_20190502_204915_hdr (1).jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 7

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
It is weird that he spends two minutes playing both guitars and they sound and play just fine, if not great, and then spend three minutes whining about some minor finish checking. My two oldest SGs (36 and 29 years old respectively) don't show any of the "problems" Braun pointed out and are still great players. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to store a guitar?

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Two points:

3-angle-l.jpg

IMG-0731fix.jpg
Nice cushion. Where can I get one? :D

MR D

Reaction score
Two points:

3-angle-l.jpg

IMG-0731fix.jpg
You just can not go wrong with a GIBSON SG Standard.

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
It's all the fault of that geek from Lubbock, Texas.

Ever since he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show playing a [warning - sensitive readers look away now] Stratocaster...

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Did you watch the video and read the comments? They're basicaly saying Gibsons are junk.

I watched the video and he was saying no such thing. He had specific issues and he provided the evidence for each of them. You may not share his conclusions but he certainly justified them.

Latest posts