Why do some players hate Gibson so much?

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
May I ask? Does that SG CUSTOM BAD-A$$ have the 490 pickup's in it ? I was waiting for GIBSON CUSTOM Shop to make a Lester or SG CUSTOM w/CUSTOMBUCKER's .....for quite a while......since 2012....and FINALLY, in mid-2019 GIBSON made an EXCLUSIVE for ZZZOUNDS dot com w/CUSTOMBUCKERS......imma sure your SG CUSTOM is a BEAST as well, those SG's just look so BAD-A$$ w/DC Diamond Headstock In-Lays...OOH BABY !!!.........'REX' the Lester CUSTOM Black-Beauty has the same specs as the '68 CUSTOM Re-Issue so it was definitely worth the wait....

IDK maybe Imma just a li'l too picky BUT IDTS....... for my CUSTOM shop $$$$ I cant bring myself to be buying GIBSONS cheapest pickup's on a $4,000.00++++ Guitar.
It does have the 490"s and I'm not too keen on them as this set is fairly microphonic and don't really like the darker tone.

Personally, I prefer 57 Classics/Classic Plus because they cover a lot of territory and have always been well potted. I have a set of 57's here in gold and have been debating whether or not to put them in this Custom or sell this guitar and swap everything over to Gold on my Black 61 reissue.
IMG_20220327_123037810~2.jpg
I enjoy the look of a blinged out Custom but prefer the necks on the 61s.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I know I'm wrong but I can't help taking pleasure in seeing wankers like him be disappointed.... Especially someone that likes that butt ugly double cutaway and an SG with a silly knob.

Cooltouch

Reaction score
My first real guitar was a Strat. My second real guitar was an SG Special. When I sold the Strat, I didn't really miss it, but when I sold that SG, I found I couldn't stop missing it. About 30 years after I sold the Strat, I bought another one, but there was a big difference between the two. The new one, with its 9.5" radius fretboard played much more like a Gibson than my old Strat with its 7.25" radius fretboard (which I really didn't like), thus I ended up playing and liking the modern Strat a lot. As for the SG, well, I've owned several Gibsons since I sold it, but they've just never been the same. I finally took care of that -- bought an exact replacement of it today. And I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. At last, after all this time! But to be fair with my Gibsons, I've really liked almost all of them. I need to mention one other make here, but a specific type of guitar -- big, hollowbody jazz guitars made by Ibanez. I've owned three, two of which I still own. All are/were exceptionally well-made guitars and have that great full-bodied sound that only a good hollowbody can provide.

In the fullness of time, I've come to appreciate both Fender and Gibson for what their strong points are, and I can neglect them equally for their weak points. I mean, there isn't a Gibson made -- that I know of, at least -- that's gonna provide the sound of a Strat's neck pickup, as the guitar is played through a Marshall just on the edge of overdrive. Just as there's no real substitute for a Gibson with P90s or even humbuckers, played through the same Marshall at the same setting. Just think Hendrix and early (pre-70s) Clapton.

MR D

Reaction score
My first real guitar was a Strat. My second real guitar was an SG Special. When I sold the Strat, I didn't really miss it, but when I sold that SG, I found I couldn't stop missing it. About 30 years after I sold the Strat, I bought another one, but there was a big difference between the two. The new one, with its 9.5" radius fretboard played much more like a Gibson than my old Strat with its 7.25" radius fretboard (which I really didn't like), thus I ended up playing and liking the modern Strat a lot. As for the SG, well, I've owned several Gibsons since I sold it, but they've just never been the same. I finally took care of that -- bought an exact replacement of it today. And I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. At last, after all this time! But to be fair with my Gibsons, I've really liked almost all of them. I need to mention one other make here, but a specific type of guitar -- big, hollowbody jazz guitars made by Ibanez. I've owned three, two of which I still own. All are/were exceptionally well-made guitars and have that great full-bodied sound that only a good hollowbody can provide.

In the fullness of time, I've come to appreciate both Fender and Gibson for what their strong points are, and I can neglect them equally for their weak points. I mean, there isn't a Gibson made -- that I know of, at least -- that's gonna provide the sound of a Strat's neck pickup, as the guitar is played through a Marshall just on the edge of overdrive. Just as there's no real substitute for a Gibson with P90s or even humbuckers, played through the same Marshall at the same setting. Just think Hendrix and early (pre-70s) Clapton.
OH YES THERE IS !!! Have you ever played a GIBSON NIGHTHAWK ? Get your hands on a Mid 90's GIBSON NIGHTHAWK Standard 3 pickup model. You won't need your Strat anymore,and TBT ya might not even want it......the Mini-Humbucker in the neck in split-coil mode will give you any Strat or Telecaster tone you ever wanted., just a bit better...and.....CTTOI, the M-Series Bridge pickup in split-coil mode will get you there too......it even has a single coil in the middle (Mini-Hummer/Single Coil/M-series Humbucker) pickup position..NIGHTHAWKs hav a 5 way toggle switch and a split for all 5 positions for a total of 10 pickup positions....... I appreciated 'The 'HAWK' while I had it, it was/is a fuckin' GREAT Guitar and it sounded like a GIBSON in Non-Split Mode and a Fender Strat in single-split-coil mode (Actually, a little finer than a Fender)...it sounded exactly like my EXPLORER(BB2) in the neck position(F'bird Mini-HBucker).

According to GIBSON USA, the NIGHTHAWKs did not sell well and never quite caught on with the guitar buying public and were discontinued...Mine was the only guitar I ever re-did the neck binding on as well as the frets too, at the same time...I thought that highly of 'The 'HAWK' and I even bought a new case for it. It wasn't really sellabe in the condition it was in after 15 years of horrendous daily beatings/road work...BUT, after the work was done to it it was pretty much like it just rolled out of the factory.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
It does have the 490"s and I'm not too keen on them as this set is fairly microphonic and don't really like the darker tone.

Personally, I prefer 57 Classics/Classic Plus because they cover a lot of territory and have always been well potted. I have a set of 57's here in gold and have been debating whether or not to put them in this Custom or sell this guitar and swap everything over to Gold on my Black 61 reissue.
View attachment 48091
OH YEAH, THAT IS THE TICKET.....ya just cant go wrong with an SG Standard w/'57 Classics ! U kno, I just got to see and play my 2017 SG Standard w/stock '57's in it for the 1st time in over a year..... just the other day....Bro, it was such a pleasure to see/play that guitar again....like bumpin into an old friend and doin some shots ! IGTY, the '17 SG Standard I have is definitely thee best SG I ever played/owned...JUST A FREAKIN MONSTER GUITAR ! as soon as I picked 'Antonia' up I remembered the day when I 1st picked her up and could not wait to see her again after I put her down. Sounds corny but it was LOVE at first feel...all over again.....SWEET !

I had to learn the difficult way that those kind of guitars don't come along every day.

Last edited:

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
OH YES THERE IS !!! Have you ever played a GIBSON NIGHTHAWK ? Get your hands on a Mid 90's GIBSON NIGHTHAWK Standard 3 pickup model w/original wiring (I recommend the 1994 model highly if you are a Fender fan). You won't need your Strat anymore,and TBT ya might not even want it......the Mini-Humbucker in the neck in split-coil mode will give you any Strat or Telecaster tone you ever wanted., just a bit better...and.....CTTOI, the M-Series Bridge pickup in split-coil mode will get you there too......it even has a single coil in the middle (Mini-Hummer/Single Coil/M-series Humbucker) pickup position..NIGHTHAWKs hav a 5 way toggle switch and a split for all 5 positin for a total of 10 pickup positions....... When I sold mine, I thought I might miss it but I was never a Strat/Tele fan anyway and I rarely used the split or single coil positions..... I appreciated 'The 'HAWK' while I had it but I cant say I ever missed it or the single coil tones it had...it was/is a fuckin' GREAT Guitar though....Yeah, definitely a top 5 guitar that I ever owned easily.......

According to GIBSON USA, the NIGHTHAWKs did not sell well and never quite caught on with the guitar buying public and were discontinued...Mine was a great GREAT guitar...it was the only guitar I ever re-did the neck binding on as well as the frets too, at the same time...I thought that highly of 'The 'HAWK' and I even bought a new case for it (Holy **** that HS Case was hard to find)....TBT, It wasn't really sellabe in the condition it was in after 15 years of horrendous daily beatings/road work...BUT, after the work was done to it it was pretty much like it just rolled off the GIBSON USA factory floor...AAMOF, Guy that bought it was truly ecstatic, made his day I did !

If you want a musician/singer who really gets the Nighthawk, listen to Eivor

MR D

Reaction score
guitarIf you want a musician/singer who really gets the Nighthawk, listen to Eivor

OK, up until a few seconds ago, i'd never heard of Eivor...WOW, whatta voice....The 'HOT' Wilson Sister plays a Nighthawk too.
Mine served me well..at the end it owed me nothing... 'The HAWK' Standard 3 was my #1 for quite a few years , over a decade ('04-'15) ! MOP Split-Parallelogram In-Lays and an Original Firebird type Mini-Humbucker in the Neck Position....pretty BAD-A$$$ IMO...A friend sold it to me for $550, MINT/NEW it was alot of Guitar ...everywhere I went with that guitar people liked/asked about it ! Funny, a lot of people did not know what model GIBSON it was and had never heard of the NIGHTHAWK series.

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
OH YEAH, THAT IS THE TICKET.....ya just cant go wrong with an SG Standard w/'57 Classics ! U kno, I just got to see and play my 2017 SG Standard w/stock '57's in it for the 1st time in over a year..... just the other day....Bro, it was such a pleasure to see/play that guitar again....like bumpin into an old friend and doin some shots ! IGTY, the '17 SG Standard I have is definitely thee best SG I ever played/owned...JUST A FREAKIN MONSTER GUITAR ! as soon as I picked 'Antonia' up I remembered the day when I 1st picked her up and could not wait to see her again after I put her down. Sounds corny but it was LOVE at first feel...all over again.....SWEET !

I had to learn the difficult way that those kind of guitars don't come along every day.
Back in the day I broke a string on my Les Paul and grabbed the other guitar players SG to finish out the set. At first I thought it wasn't in tune, then I realized I was actually two frets away from where I thought I was. I thought i could never own something as unnatural as an SG.

Years later I wasn't even in a band and decided to give the SG another go. I picked my 61 reissue simply because I like the smaller pickguard and it already had 57s.

The damned thing became like an extension of my left hand and has been my main/go to guitar for over a decade. Out of the 300+ guitars I've owned over the past 30 years the 61 reissue is the only guitar I've kept long term and not modified in any way.

I went from not ever wanting any SGs to having 4 of them. Lol.

Cooltouch

Reaction score
OH YES THERE IS !!! Have you ever played a GIBSON NIGHTHAWK ? Get your hands on a Mid 90's GIBSON NIGHTHAWK Standard 3 pickup model. You won't need your Strat anymore,and TBT ya might not even want it....

Thanks for the response, Mr. D. Something was telling me that, if Gibson made such a guitar, one of y'all would point it out to me. And now that you mention it, I've seen a Nighthawk -- once before, hanging on the racks of a small local music store. I thought its body style was interesting -- sort of a squashed Les Paul -- but I never tried it out. And, as I dimly recall, this was the 2 - HB model. I also dimly recall the sales guy telling me it was a great guitar for the blues. That's probably where my interest waned because, at that time, I already owned a few guitars that were great blues axes.

The Nighthawk SP-3's seem to be going for quite a premium on Reverb. So much so that I paid about the same for my used LP Traditional and a Fender Squier Strat to which I added a nice set of Alnico V pickups. Most recently I added a Warmoth neck to that Squier, so it now plays as good, and sounds as nice, as any Strat I've owned. I definitely find those Nighthawks intriguing, if not a little awkward looking in their layouts, but you know what? I'd rather have two guitars, each with its own specific characteristics, than one that tries to combine them all. Because invariably corners unavoidably will be cut that will end up mattering.

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Mr. D. Something was telling me that, if Gibson made such a guitar, one of y'all would point it out to me. And now that you mention it, I've seen a Nighthawk -- once before, hanging on the racks of a small local music store. I thought its body style was interesting -- sort of a squashed Les Paul -- but I never tried it out. And, as I dimly recall, this was the 2 - HB model. I also dimly recall the sales guy telling me it was a great guitar for the blues. That's probably where my interest waned because, at that time, I already owned a few guitars that were great blues axes.

The Nighthawk SP-3's seem to be going for quite a premium on Reverb. So much so that I paid about the same for my used LP Traditional the same thing and a Fender Squier Strat to which I added a nice set of Alnico V pickups. Most recently I added a Warmoth neck to that Squier, so it now plays as good, and sounds as nice, as any Strat I've owned. I definitely find those Nighthawks intriguing, if not a little awkward looking in their layouts, but you know what? I'd rather have two guitars, each with its own specific characteristics, than one that tries to combine them all. Because invariably corners unavoidably will be cut that will end up mattering.
Hey Juan, U kno, NIGHTHAWKS were not popular at all...I guess if a Player wanted a Strat, they want the Fender logo on the Headstock ? AND OMG, a lot of people said the same exact thing or something similar about my NIGHTHAWK: "Is that a SQUASHED/TINY/SOME SORT OF LES PAUL ?", people could not wrap their heads around the fact that it was a different model altogether......I can say this, the ST-3 I had CUT NO CORNERS....and It delivered the goods in SPADES ! IMO NIGHTHAWKS are BAD-A$$....Recently I read that Dave Davies of the KINKS new # 1 Guitar is a NIGHTHAWK ST-3 that GIBSON gave to him. Said Dave in the interview: "I Like my new NIGHTHAWK, my new #1, because its the only guitar I need to play the entire set..". I am sure you know that THE KINKS, Dave Davies especially, used GIBSON Les Paul's and FENDER Strats on their albums and on stage and Dave sez he can cover all that ground with a NIGHTHAWK. and ,U C, I know its true because I did the same exact thing...I only needed that one guitar to get any sound/tone I was going to need to get during a set...

I am not a salesman for GIBSON but if you venture out and buy a 100% Stock GIBSON NIGHTHAWK ST-3...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, almost as heavy sounding as a Les Paul (Dam Close) and easily as sharp sounding as a Stratocaster. Well worth the coinage considering the buying cost of getting a Fender Strat and a Les Paul too.

and BTW, GIBSON does still have a pretty close to a Fender Tone type Guitar in its lineup....the FIREBIRD Standard T w/Mini-Humbuckers gets pretty close, really really close to a STRAT in the Lead dept..on the Middle toggle position...where it fails to shine, and IDK why, is the Heavy TONE Department..the Open E and 6 string F F#'s just dont have the same THUMP that I always look for and get in an SG or Lester, u kno? Its not dreadfully short but its the only reason I am selling it, otherwise, A$$ KICKING GUITAR ! I do know that GIBSON changed the output in the Mini-Humbuckers and they are NOT the same as the Mini-Hummer that was in my NIGHTHAWK, too bad too as that one pickup , the old original FIREBIRD Mini-Humbuckers RULE !

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
BTW

The Nighthawk SP-3's seem to be going for quite a premium on Reverb. So much so that I paid about the same for my used LP Traditional and a Fender Squier Strat to which I added a nice set of Alnico V pickups. Most recently I added a Warmoth neck to that Squier, so it now plays as good, and sounds as nice, as any Strat I've owned. I definitely find those Nighthawks intriguing, if not a little awkward looking in their layouts, but you know what? I'd rather have two guitars, each with its own specific characteristics, than one that tries to combine them all. Because invariably corners unavoidably will be cut that will end up mattering.
BRO, is the SG you mentioned above a CUSTOM Shop axe or the USA Line Standard '61 ?

MR D

Reaction score

View attachment 48091
Yeah, I agree with your assessment...the '57 Classics are the $#!ZZLE on an SG, they just are....the 2017 SG Standard I got looks exactly like your SG on the right except for the yellow toggle tip and yours has the 22th fret Nck Joint but other than that its identical...Just for laughs and nothing better to .....I swapped some pickups around on an SG Standard/Orignal so as to make the pickup combo '61R Neck & '57 Classic in the bridge...and I may stumbled onto something there...as that is now my fav Pickup combo....riding the middle toggle position its just 110% BAD-A$$, I think its the Alnico 5 magnet in the neck pickup, the '61R gives the guitar that li'l extra THUMP !

The Black w/Gold hardware(covers) on that SG would look completely BAD-A$$$..... of yes it would, maybe put some black speed knobs on it so you dont have the silver and gold conflict? BTA conflict can be good sometimes....

rabbit

Reaction score
Getting back to the original thread question...

We all have the right to our individual opinion and perspective based on our experiences. Bashing, aka being judgmental serves no purpose unless there is something to be learned through constructive criticism (reflection). Personally I only own 2 Gibson guitars and they are both SG models made nine years apart. Hardly a fair representation of an entire brand let alone a single product line. I could certainly point out what I believe to be flaws and/or imperfections in the construction methods and how that affects playability, but it's not necessarily going to resonate with all Gibson SG owners. They are not perfect Gibson’s nor do either fit the bill of a perfect guitar or perfect SG guitar, which is why I own other guitars from other manufacturers to balance my needs which also come with their own inherent flaws (and community of bashers/supporters). Here is where the potential to 'influence' another’s guitar buying decisions comes into the equation. Calling out Gibson for manufacturing flaws on a single product which actually is proven to be flawed should limit the focus/discussion to that specimen. Unfortunately ego's get bruised and every guitar in existence under said 'brand' is now under the umbrella of this scrutiny.

I think what we're really wanting to discuss is the return on investment or perceived value of these instruments (flaws included). When taking into consideration economy of scale, one would think that through realized production efficiency and costs savings, that in return you could offer quality instruments at exceptional and affordable value consistently to consumers. I'm no mathematician, but when looking at a Gibson Custom SG that was made and sold new in say 1964 for $480 and today is over $7,000 new... that's an increase of 1,350% for the same instrument (about a 5% increase each year for over 58 years). Of course the manufacturing facility has made upgrades and improvements to the infrastructure and tooling (aka, automation), increased its workforce to match output causing wage increases, costs of goods has increased, which is now passed into or absorbed by profit margins. Let's not forget the monster investment firm which owns Gibson and is loyal to a larger number of shareholders who expect a positive return on their financial investments. Add in the unusually thick corporate management structure and marketing efforts to associate the product with relevant industry 'influencers' (signature series) and it is all just money down the drain. You have to sell thousands of instruments at bloated prices to maintain/increase wealth and offset debt. Perceived value (mental and emotional) costs you (the consumer) more than the actual physical value of the product. You can build a fine instrument for well under $1000 in material costs before adding in the cost/value of the labor and equipment associated to produce/market the instrument, recoup expenses and gain a profit. It's possible that for a global company such as Gibson, due to bulk purchasing/sourcing at high volume a top of the line custom may only cost $400 or less in raw materials alone. So now what's the true value-add that justifies the current retail asking price versus blaming inflation? You're potentially paying for all of the company's mistakes, not just the ones you complain about that are visible in the end product.

We, the unfortunate consumers are the ones bashing each other for each of our supposed good/bad decisions while the manufacturers feed the fire. If we held them to higher standards they would in return raise their prices even more. Nothing personal, just business. And it's no longer about purchasing quality instruments to make you a better musician, but paying for the privilege of owning that instrument regardless of its value above and beyond a basic tolerance of purpose-built functionality at an acceptable/manageable cost.

But after all this is just one perspective in an infinite sea of points of view. Ok, so one more thing... on an average price increase of almost 5% yearly for that new guitar, how many of you have equally received a consistent 5% wage increase annually? On average most Americans (as an example, not counting out our global brothers and sisters who are equally affected) are lucky to get a 3% increase which keeps you at the same level of earnings potential when all of the products and services your lifestyle requires continues to go up in cost (utilities, taxes, food, guitars, etc.), and maybe not necessarily an increase in their value.

I Love/Hate my Gibson’s, and our toxic relationship adds to the symphony of life.

MR D

Reaction score
Getting back to the original thread question...

We all have the right to our individual opinion and perspective based on our experiences. Bashing, aka being judgmental serves no purpose unless there is something to be learned through constructive criticism (reflection). Personally I only own 2 Gibson guitars and they are both SG models made nine years apart. Hardly a fair representation of an entire brand let alone a single product line. I could certainly point out what I believe to be flaws and/or imperfections in the construction methods and how that affects playability, but it's not necessarily going to resonate with all Gibson SG owners. They are not perfect Gibson’s nor do either fit the bill of a perfect guitar or perfect SG guitar, which is why I own other guitars from other manufacturers to balance my needs which also come with their own inherent flaws (and community of bashers/supporters). Here is where the potential to 'influence' another’s guitar buying decisions comes into the equation. Calling out Gibson for manufacturing flaws on a single product which actually is proven to be flawed should limit the focus/discussion to that specimen. Unfortunately ego's get bruised and every guitar in existence under said 'brand' is now under the umbrella of this scrutiny.

I think what we're really wanting to discuss is the return on investment or perceived value of these instruments (flaws included). When taking into consideration economy of scale, one would think that through realized production efficiency and costs savings, that in return you could offer quality instruments at exceptional and affordable value consistently to consumers. I'm no mathematician, but when looking at a Gibson Custom SG that was made and sold new in say 1964 for $480 and today is over $7,000 new... that's an increase of 1,350% for the same instrument (about a 5% increase each year for over 58 years). Of course the manufacturing facility has made upgrades and improvements to the infrastructure and tooling (aka, automation), increased its workforce to match output causing wage increases, costs of goods has increased, which is now passed into or absorbed by profit margins. Let's not forget the monster investment firm which owns Gibson and is loyal to a larger number of shareholders who expect a positive return on their financial investments. Add in the unusually thick corporate management structure and marketing efforts to associate the product with relevant industry 'influencers' (signature series) and it is all just money down the drain. You have to sell thousands of instruments at bloated prices to maintain/increase wealth and offset debt. Perceived value (mental and emotional) costs you (the consumer) more than the actual physical value of the product. You can build a fine instrument for well under $1000 in material costs before adding in the cost/value of the labor and equipment associated to produce/market the instrument, recoup expenses and gain a profit. It's possible that for a global company such as Gibson, due to bulk purchasing/sourcing at high volume a top of the line custom may only cost $400 or less in raw materials alone. So now what's the true value-add that justifies the current retail asking price versus blaming inflation? You're potentially paying for all of the company's mistakes, not just the ones you complain about that are visible in the end product.

We, the unfortunate consumers are the ones bashing each other for each of our supposed good/bad decisions while the manufacturers feed the fire. If we held them to higher standards they would in return raise their prices even more. Nothing personal, just business. And it's no longer about purchasing quality instruments to make you a better musician, but paying for the privilege of owning that instrument regardless of its value above and beyond a basic tolerance of purpose-built functionality at an acceptable/manageable cost.

But after all this is just one perspective in an infinite sea of points of view. Ok, so one more thing... on an average price increase of almost 5% yearly for that new guitar, how many of you have equally received a consistent 5% wage increase annually? On average most Americans (as an example, not counting out our global brothers and sisters who are equally affected) are lucky to get a 3% increase which keeps you at the same level of earnings potential when all of the products and services your lifestyle requires continues to go up in cost (utilities, taxes, food, guitars, etc.), and maybe not necessarily an increase in their value.

I Love/Hate my Gibson’s, and our toxic relationship adds to the symphony of life.

AFAIK, GIBSON is a privately held/owned company. That usually means there is no stock to buy and no ticker symbol for the stock exchanges because it is not on any ? BUT IDK, maybe there is ? I'm not a stock broker or economist but I just looked at Bloomberg's Investment web-site and there is no ticker symbol listed and it appears that GIBSON is a privately held entity/business.

Soooo, if you actually know who the 'MONSTER' Investment Firm is that owns GIBSON Brands...I would actually be interested in knowing who that is.......(Vanguard? Black Rock ?).

Latest posts