why don't more SGs come with hum (b) / p90 (n) combo?

everdying

Reaction score
just wondering why...
but over the years and decades...Gibson has released quite a few LPs with that combo...
was apparently a popular mod too back then too...
even other brands have something similar...

so ya i have GAS for a similar SG...

ya i know u can put in a humbucker sized p90... but there's just something about a full soapbar p90 with a humbucker that just looks beautiful...

everdying

Reaction score
2014 SG Futura, swap the p90h sidewinder for a regular p90. View attachment 47860

ya this is cool... but its like the only SG in existence from factory like this...
also msrp in 2014 was $1.1k?
tho i cant remember what i was doing in 2014...i do know i wouldn't have spent so much... instead getting a SGJ the yr before for only around $575 new.

laza616

Reaction score
Oh yes, i totally agree and support this idea. I wonder what stops Gibson from having a variety and multiple options OF EVERYTHING when it comes to SGs.
I hate that they keep producing 90% SGs in two damn finishes - red (cherry) and black (ebony).... I do love all the finishes but these limitations are silly. The same with the pickups.
I think that the Standard model should have more finishes available equally and continually. Not only ebony and cherry finishes, but also alpine white, tv yellow, pelham blue and a natural finish as well. And exactly this should be a thing with the pickups - 3 standard models - p90s only, Humbuckers only or P90 neck with the humbucker bridge combination. All above with the other standard features and also a Standard should come in the hardcase.

I would love to have a standard SG in Tv yellow with a p90 neck pickup and humbucker bridge pickup, nice neck binding, mop headstock logo, trapezoid inlays and a batwing

smitty_p

Reaction score
just wondering why...
but over the years and decades...Gibson has released quite a few LPs with that combo...

ya i know u can put in a humbucker sized p90... but there's just something about a full soapbar p90 with a humbucker that just looks beautiful...

I'd love to see this more commonly available, too.

MR D

Reaction score
just wondering why...

Yeah Bro, I wanted to do exactly that to my '18 FIREBIRD.....BUT becaise of the way the Pickup's are mounted on the guitar..... GIBSON Sez it cant be done......I kinda wanted to do the Allen Collins move, P-90 & Humbucking FIREBIRD...complete BAD-A$$ERY ! BUT NO, I cant, so sez GIBSON USA, DANG !

IDR which position, Neck or Bridge, Collins had the humbucker in on his FIREBIRD..too lazy to look and I cant do it anyway (Maybe a routing procedure ? but I just cant bring myself to rout the guitar !).Neil Young does that too but uses a Mini-Humbucker w/P-90 on 'Old Back'...IMO, both of those Guys tones are up there in the Pantheon of ROCK 'N' ROLL GODZ TONES !!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Yeah Bro, I wanted to do exactly that to my '18 FIREBIRD.....BUT becaise of the way the Pickup's are mounted on the guitar..... GIBSON Sez it cant be done......I kinda wanted to do the Allen Collins move, P-90 & Humbucking FIREBIRD...complete BAD-A$$ERY ! BUT NO, I cant, so sez GIBSON USA, DANG !

IDR which position, Neck or Bridge, Collins had the humbucker in on his FIREBIRD..too lazy to look and I cant do it anyway (Maybe a routing procedure ? but I just cant bring myself to rout the guitar !).Neil Young does that too but uses a Mini-Humbucker w/P-90 on 'Old Back'...IMO, both of those Guys tones are up there in the Pantheon of ROCK 'N' ROLL GODZ TONES !!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
P90 bridge, mini-humbucker neck. Looks like it sold last year, search results showed $75,000.00 but that might have been the starting bid.
6F29ABBD-1D2B-4F62-882A-A51B6C645184.jpeg

Last edited:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I believe Gibson ought to have a computer menu
where we could go online and order up our dream guitar
complete with all the hardware, decorations and finishes we'd ever want.
Pick out all the details you've ever dreamed of, and just order it and
wait for it to be done.

oh yeah, Gibson does... it's called the custom shop.

But for the rest of us, there's the Gibson SG specials with the mini humbuckers.
You can remove one of the mini hums and install a real P-90 for a lot less than
the cost of a custom built guitar. That ought to work fine.
I found one in Silverburst... so I pounced on it. I don't care for Red SGs either.
Top view@100.jpg
I've been the proud owner of this beauty for about nine years now.
I wondered if I'd love the sound of the mini hums enough to resist installing
a P-90. Turns out I do. The mini hums rip, no matter what anyone says.
I absolutely love this instrument. and it's not for sale.
Caledonia.jpg
So I went out and bought an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro, so I could get my
single coil fix. The tone of that guitar is so good that I don't need to even
think about changing anything. Add up the cost of the Gibson SG special
with mini hums, plus the cost of the Epi ES-339 with the P-90s, plus the cost
of getting them both set up and perfected, add in a pair of good cases
and it's still a lot less than any custom shop guitar, and a lot more fun.

So Gibson will make what you want if you've got the dough raimi,
but this is the workingman's work-around. And you still get what
you want. Unless you're hung up on the decorations, which have
zero effect on tone.

MR D

Reaction score
P90 bridge, mini-humbucker neck. Looks like it sold last year, search results showed $75,000.00 but that might have been the starting bid.
View attachment 47862
Holy $#!T ! D.D. you ROCK ......AGAIN !!! is that what is called a 'Dog Ear' P-90 ? Kinda looks like, the shoe fits etc etc...not really up to speed on the P-90's.IDK what that model FIREBIRD was actually called...A FIREBIRD 'SPECIAL '?

The '18 FIREBIRD I have is a regular production run USA Line 'STANDARD' , yes? BUT, according to GIBSON USA, the models name is just called a FIREBIRD T and I guess the 'T' is standing for 'Traditional', but that is is just a guess. I stopped trying to figure GIBSON out long ago.....GIBSON could call it a pineapple and it would be fine with me.

Nothing sounds like a FIREBIRD...it is surely true...Mine has the neck w/Rolled Binding and Trapezoid In-Lays and the neck just may be the sweetest specimen of GIBSON necks I've yet to own/play,....'Blackie' seen below is the real dealio 'Neck Thru 'FIREBIRD and compared to the Johnny Winter signature model, it was a bargain at $1900 a few years back (at the time I thought it was a tad over-priced).... 'Blackie' definitely RIPS and is actually a really great playing guitar..little awkward at first w/offset, but I really enjoy denting up the frets on her. I've only one minor complaint and that is the not heavy enuff sounding low end. (E's and F's aren't Thumpin enuff)..but the axe is like an SG/Telecaster hybrid type guitar. Razor sharp leads !

and, once again, I cant upload a picture, FFS !
I will try again later....

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
View attachment 47862
That has the 'Banjo' Tuning Machines, yes? I have yet to see what they look like (cause neck dive?) and recently (2019? or 2017?) GIBSON USA was putting Steinberger gearless TM's on the BAD-A$$'s...Even when out and about looking I've yet to see one of those either (I only get in-frequent weekend passes, LOL !)........ 'Blackie' has the Mini-Grover T.M.s and there was no need to swap 'em out as the Mini-G's just might be, no definitely are, the most stable Non-Locking TM's I've had on a GIBSON ! Really EXCELLENT Tuning Machines. Mini-G's ROCK !

there is a joke in there somewhere !

Crazy_8

Reaction score
I bought one of those gold Futura SG bodies from "The Stratosphere" and fitted it with a Classic 57 at the bridge and a traditional P90 at the neck (see my avatar). The wiring is 50's style and the tuners are Kluson tulips instead of those awful e-tune monstrosities. It turned out to be one of my favorite SG's ever.

Maybe you ( @everdying ) would like to buy it since I'm really thinking of thinning the herd. Let me know; I'm not really looking to gouge anyone so give me a reasonable and fair offer.

everdying

Reaction score
I bought one of those gold Futura SG bodies from "The Stratosphere" and fitted it with a Classic 57 at the bridge and a traditional P90 at the neck (see my avatar). The wiring is 50's style and the tuners are Kluson tulips instead of those awful e-tune monstrosities. It turned out to be one of my favorite SG's ever.

Maybe you ( @everdying ) would like to buy it since I'm really thinking of thinning the herd. Let me know; I'm not really looking to gouge anyone so give me a reasonable and fair offer.

interesting offer... but i would have to offload my SG-90 first...
currently my budget stretches only to a Yamaha 311H... which is only around $325.

Attachments

• IMG_7417-1024x683.jpg
    IMG_7417-1024x683.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 7

Crazy_8

Reaction score
No problem, I hope something falls in your lap at the right time !

:smile:

MR D

Reaction score
I believe Gibson ought to have a computer menu
where we could go online and order up our dream guitar
complete with all the hardware, decorations and finishes we'd ever want.
Pick out all the details you've ever dreamed of, and just order it and
wait for it to be done.

oh yeah, Gibson does... it's called the custom shop.

But for the rest of us, there's the Gibson SG specials with the mini humbuckers.
You can remove one of the mini hums and install a real P-90 for a lot less than
the cost of a custom built guitar. That ought to work fine.
I found one in Silverburst... so I pounced on it. I don't care for Red SGs either.
View attachment 47863
I've been the proud owner of this beauty for about nine years now.
I wondered if I'd love the sound of the mini hums enough to resist installing
a P-90. Turns out I do. The mini hums rip, no matter what anyone says.
I absolutely love this instrument. and it's not for sale.
View attachment 47864
So I went out and bought an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro, so I could get my
single coil fix. The tone of that guitar is so good that I don't need to even
think about changing anything. Add up the cost of the Gibson SG special
with mini hums, plus the cost of the Epi ES-339 with the P-90s, plus the cost
of getting them both set up and perfected, add in a pair of good cases
and it's still a lot less than any custom shop guitar, and a lot more fun.

So Gibson will make what you want if you've got the dough raimi,
but this is the workingman's work-around. And you still get what
you want. Unless you're hung up on the decorations, which have
zero effect on tone.
is that a 'Steal Your Face' Truss-Rod cover ? That silverburst is the shizzle......Cool is the 1st fret in-lay, always like that when its on a USA Line GIBSON !
I'd be really proud to walk out anywhere with that one !!!

Dave

Reaction score
Buy a dual P90 SG and swap out either or both of the P90s for soapbar size humbuckers. There are a lot of options available today.
Here's my Les Paul Special with Dimarzio soapbar humbuckers. There were a direct drop-in replacement for the stock P90s.

LPJD1-s.jpg

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I have a metric buttload of mini equipped geetars, but only one with p90's.

I'm considering making 2 of them mini/p90 geetars....