Wiring harness/kit for MIK SG ???

Dave_11

Reaction score
I just bought a MIK SG that has disintegrating electronics so I want to put in all new. Can anyone comment on this kit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195192564206

I was looking at this kit, but the above is all prewired for only $10 more
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303109653716

Do the knobs on these MIK SGs take a smaller shaft? Would I need to enlarge the body holes for CTS or Bourns pots? The guy selling the first kit also sells a kit for imports, so if I had to ream the body holes I would probably go for that kit. Otherwise I'm ok with buying new knobs.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
You may have to enlarge the holes for the pots to 3/8 inch and you might have to change out your knobs because most Epiphone and Imported pots use a smaller hole and also metric pots use 18 spline knobs whilst USA pots use 24 spline knobs.

I would check with this guy too- https://atlanticcustomguitars.com/epph-prem.html

Dave_11

Reaction score
Thanks much. I'll pull one of the pots tonight and measure the hole, that way I'll know for sure. I suspected that the shafts were smaller in diameter than US pots, but I did not know about the spline difference. I guess it makes sense though - smaller circumference = fewer splines...

rabbit

Reaction score
I have done this exact upgrade to quite a few MIJ guitars. Got a decent reamer off amazon for a different project but worked perfectly for enlarging the holes in guitar tops.

Have had excellent results purchasing both the TonePros wiring harness off amazon as well as a Premium Kit from Atlantic Custom Guitars on Reverb (as Decadent Dan mentioned above). Both companies use a quality Switchcraft toggle and jack and CTS pots. But this is doing your own soldering, so if you're not up for it then pre-wired is the way to go... or well actually you'll still have to solder the pickups and bridge ground to the new pots.

plankton

Reaction score
All the harnesses I've seen for sale are way overpriced IMO. It's much less expensive to buy the components and just do it yourself. Even with a prewired harness you have to do some soldering, so why not just solder it all, save money and choose the components you want.

Dave_11

Reaction score
I buy the kit because I'm not exactly sure which pots to buy, or where to buy them. A few years ago I think I tried to source components for a strat, but by the time I added everything up just buying the unassembled kit off ebay was the same price. Anyway, if you have a source for parts I wouldn't mind checking it out. I recently bought a soldering station so I'm all set.

Also, if anyone knows how to jumper the bridge tone pot to run wide open, I would appreciate it. The pot was gritty when it turned, and I guess I turned it one too many times because it got stuck at a tone of about 7. The pot turns, but the highest the tone goes is about 7. I'd like to just bypass the tone pot and run it wide open until I get new electronics installed.

plankton

Reaction score
I buy the kit because I'm not exactly sure which pots to buy, or where to buy them. A few years ago I think I tried to source components for a strat, but by the time I added everything up just buying the unassembled kit off ebay was the same price. Anyway, if you have a source for parts I wouldn't mind checking it out. I recently bought a soldering station so I'm all set.

Where are you located?

Also, if anyone knows how to jumper the bridge tone pot to run wide open, I would appreciate it. The pot was gritty when it turned, and I guess I turned it one too many times because it got stuck at a tone of about 7. The pot turns, but the highest the tone goes is about 7. I'd like to just bypass the tone pot and run it wide open until I get new electronics installed.

Just disconnect the tone pot from the volume pot by cutting or desoldering the wire that connects them.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Where are you located?
Just saw you are in Australia. I'm in the US, so your sources probably aren't going to work for me, haha. Thanks for the tip on the tone pot -- I'll give it a try this weekend.

plankton

Reaction score
There would be heaps of places in the US. Stew Mac and Allparts are just a couple I know offhand. Looks like Alpha pots are $3.50 at Stew Mac, half as much as CTS. I've never noticed any difference in quality or performance between the two brands.

Latest posts