wraparound tailpiece questions

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I just bought a Lester Special w/Wraparound Stop-Bar/Tail-Piece and the guitar arrived PERFECTLY Intonated.

I have not changed the strings yet but have inspected what I can see and there are two adjustment screws at the back of the piece that appear to be combination adjustment screws/locks , look like common hex-head/allen key types, for intonation purposes ? IDK if the GIBSON USA Multi-Tool that came with the guitar has a key that will fit these particular screws BUT IT SURELY SHOULD...! ? ?

The Stop-Bar/Bridge/Tail-piece is not touching the body of the guitar but is about 1/4" away from the body on both sides and they appear to be exactly the same height in terms of the length of the posts going into the body and the space between the body and bottom of the piece. Again, the space between the body and bottom of the piece is equal in distance on both sides...the piece itself doesn't have the ridges on top (Non-Compensated ?). The Stop-Bar/Tailpiece/Bridge is mounted on an angle on the top of the body.

The guitar was/is advertised as a remake of the 1955 Les Paul Special....in TV YELLOW.

I am going to do a Fret-Board oiling/string change shortly and I suspect that the piece will stay in place due to the what appear to be locking screws on the back of the piece. The fact that the guitar arrived perfectly intonated and the strings are close enough to my preferred heights that i will not have to move either of the posts heights and therefore should not have any intonation problems once the axe is re-strung. I am figuring if I do have to raise/lower either side that the adjustment screws located @ the posts center on the back of the piece should be able to intonate the guitar if necessary.

Having never owned one of these I will proceed cautiously, but there doesn't seem to be all that much involved and its not a Rolls Royce rocket engine, not even a common ass Chevrolet/Olsmobile Rocket 350...so this is actual childs' play in comparison really...I do not anticipate any problems....AND....as long as I have the adjustment key for the screws on the back of the piece, the procedure should be very do-able.

That is a 50’s style wraparound bridge. It will be smooth on top with no lightning bar which is only found on 60’s style bridges from 1963 -present.

60’s style wraparound was first used on 1963 SG Junior and Special with many of them also having a short vibrola.

Allen screws on back edge of bridge are for intonation adjustment, not locking bridge to posts. Always loosen string tension prior to adjusting to prevent gooching the threads.

Bridge should not be decked to the body for obvious reasons or action would be too low.

MR D

Reaction score
That is a 50’s style wraparound bridge. It will be smooth on top with no lightning bar which is only found on 60’s style bridges from 1963 -present.

60’s style wraparound was first used on 1963 SG Junior and Special with many of them also having a short vibrola.

Allen screws on back edge of bridge are for intonation adjustment, not locking bridge to posts. Always loosen string tension prior to adjusting to prevent gooching the threads.

Bridge should not be decked to the body for obvious reasons or action would be too low.
WOW, Thanks C.B. ! #OLY $#!T , YOU FRIKKIN ROCK ! U kno, for a while there, I thought you might be some sort of algorhythmic robot due to the fact that you seem to be a veritable instantaneous encyclopedia of GIBSON knowledge...I've only met two other people that are as well versed in everything GIBSON as you seem to be....and they were/are GIBSON employee's !

That makes mucho sense that the piece is a '50's wraparound as the guitar is a remake/replica/based-on, but not a Re-Issue of, the famed 1955 GIBSON Les Paul Special.....in TV Yellow.....and.....that was why I bought it......KEEP ROCKIN' !

and, of course....the original type P-90's in the guitar FUCKIN RULE ! The tone on the neck p-up w/Tone knob turned all the way down is #OLY $#!T SICK !

TNX AGAIN BRO !

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Epitome of coolness… I wish I could find another one of these…

I think I’ll get the Philadelphia one for my Danelectro.

Before

after

Latest posts