Wudtone Strat trems - anyone here tried one?

SG standard

Reaction score
I've been thinking of upgrading the trem on my MiM Strat for a while, and when I looked into it again this week I discovered the Wudtone trems, in particular the CP Holy Grail. Any forum members tried these at all?

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
The greatest exponent of the Strat trem is Jeff Beck, and he uses the standard item. So I think any change from that is probably not an upgrade. Now what else could you get for a hundred and fifty quid?

SG standard

Reaction score
The greatest exponent of the Strat trem is Jeff Beck, and he uses the standard item. So I think any change from that is probably not an upgrade. Now what else could you get for a hundred and fifty quid?

:)

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think he plays a MiM (though I'm sure he'd make it sound equally amazing if he did). My MiM is an excellent Strat, but I'm aware that Fender don't fit the greatest hardware. Despite that, I'm happy enough with the pickups, but I suspect the trem could be improved - especially the block. That was all I'd been planning to do, but I suspect the Wudtone design might also improve tuning stability (which isn't awful, but could be better). What else could I get for £150? Well, I could get some locking tuners, or even a Tronical tuner....

donepearce

Reaction score
I think he has an army of Strats, some of which are certainly MiM. But I don't know much about MiM Strats (apart from liking them a lot). Do they really make their own hardware, or do Fender send it to them?
As for tuning stability on a Strat, it isn't determined at the bridge end which is exemplary, it is all down to the nut and the string path behind it. Beck's Strats are all either roller nuts or locking. And of course playing technique is 80% of it.
What else for £150? I'd say nothing for a Strat which is not far off perfection. Maybe a pair of cool shoes? The band must always dress better than the audience.

SG standard

Reaction score
But I don't know much about MiM Strats (apart from liking them a lot). Do they really make their own hardware, or do Fender send it to them?
It's my understanding that Fender do indeed produce different quality hardware over their ranges, and that this is where the MiM models really depart from the MiA range. Which sort of makes sense, as the build and finish on MiM seems pretty high, in my experience. So Fender encourage their customers to justify the jump in price on the basis of quality, whereas, of course, the main reason for the difference is labour costs - the slightly better hardware is pretty insignificant in adding to final price. (This may have changed since 2015 when I last took a close look).

Internet wisdom (for want of a better word) is that MiMs make a great starting point to mod - you can add your own choice of improved hardware and still come in well below MiA costs, but have the guitar the way you want it. But aside from that 'wisdom', in my personal experience, it's the trem that makes the biggest difference between my MiM (keeper) and MiA (for sale). So that's why I started looking at what might be causing that difference...

£150 for shoes? My last gig was in Tottenham... :) ...and in the last century. :(

donepearce

Reaction score
Internet wisdom (for want of a better word) is that MiMs make a great starting point to mod - you can add your own choice of improved hardware and still come in well below MiA costs, but have the guitar the way you want it. But aside from that 'wisdom', in my personal experience, it's the trem that makes the biggest difference between my MiM (keeper) and MiA (for sale). So that's why I started looking at what might be causing that difference...

Seriously, if you have tuning stability issues, look at the way the nut is cut. You will find nothing at the bridge end. A bit of lube under the string tree doesn't go amiss either. And finally of course - technique. Decide whether you want to be in tune after a lift or a dive, and tune it that way. You can't have both without a locking nut.

Actually let me take that back about the bridge. Anything more than two pivot screws will result in binding. If you have a three screw bridge, take out the middle one. If it is a six screw, have a good look and decide whether a pair would be up to the job.

angusmania

Reaction score
I have them on both my strats now, replaced callahams. They are worth every penny, deliver quite a surprising kick and the best tuning stability. Fitted the newer CP Vintage 50s on a custom shop strat ( ash/maple) CP Holy Grail on a mim deluxe rosewood board strat , both came with steel blocks, stay in tune great, no arm slack, make a huge diff to the enjoyment of a Strat. Considering their PRS dd too when I can find a PRS CU22 I can afford.

SG standard

Reaction score
both came with steel blocks, stay in tune great, no arm slack, make a huge diff to the enjoyment of a Strat.
Thanks, that's helpful feedback - and it fits with what I've been hearing elsewhere. It's surprising how little things like having no slack in the arm can make a big difference in feel. I also like the fact they're made in Wales... I always was a big fan of Welsh Rock. :)

Latest posts