Years of grease/polish on nitrocellulose finish

Terrence

Reaction score
Hey guys

My vintage SG has years of grime and old polish all over the nitrocellulose finish. When I buff it with a cloth I can still see it all on there and I can Ismear it with my finger.

I was going to use Virtuoso cleaner to remove it all. But after i spoke to them, they advised me not to use their product on my guitar as there are several chips in the finish that reveal the wood, and the cleaner could damage the wood.

Can anyone recommend a good safe cleaner for a vintage nitrocellulose finish?
And also some polish too!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Terrence

Reaction score
Naphtha is really the best option.
I can't find any Naphtha here in UK. I read that zippo lighter fuel is good, but I've also read not to use it. So still quite confused!

Norton

Reaction score
every hardware store should have naptha sometimes called white spirits in the uk. or PV naptha paint & varnish naptha

it's pretty much the luthier's cleaner of choice. it will not harm nitro or poly or most other finishes.

papagayo

Reaction score
Zippo fluid lighter works very well for cleaning a nitro finish. No problem :cheers:

Temp 48048.JPG

fernieite

Reaction score
Here's what I wanted to post above. :D
Too late to edit my post, it seems...

hendrix lighter fluid.jpg

Did you try some lighter fluid @Terrence ?

I've used Virtuoso cleaner on all of my guitars with excellent results; (including my highly checked 63 Junior) although I see in your first post that they didn't recommend it for your old SG.